Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waaaaaaabulance Drivers
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:just to clearification on full time FF's vs. Volunteers. I have the same basic training and do the same extra trainings as guys in GR (trainings depend on our aread clearly) or any big city with full time departments. The difference is I take my classes at night, on my time. I also leave for fire calls when i'm playing with my kids, or eating Christmas dinner with my family and then go to work the next day at 8 after fighting fire from 12am to 6am.

Full time and volunteer are different worlds, I don't think you can compare by how many calls are gone on or what kind of calls. The knowledge is the same (usually) as with the dedication and passion. While I agree that SOME FFs and EMT can be cocky I also agree that there are just as many Service men and women that are the same way.

yeah this is definetly directed more at the volunteer crowd than the full-timers who do it for a living no matter what. there is a world of difference. and yeah there can be cocky servicemen. Army Rangers who are stationed in a Ranger Battalion are the cockiest a-holes you will ever meet on the face of this earth. they've got good reason to be I suppose..kinda, but there is light years in difference between rangers and SF (green beret dudes). Also, Marines tend to think their shit doesnt stink either, though they've lost a little bit of bragging rights due to this war becuase of the fact that they do 6-7 month tours while the army is doing 12-15 months. I'm not guess at that either, that is what I was told by a Marine.

but ya know, same team, whatever, all's well.
Quote:First, I said every single one I've interacted with, not every single one on the planet, so right off the bat I can tell you're going to be one big flaming pile of fail...

You'll have to forgive me. I find it difficult to take someone seriously in a debate when they emphasize their points by using internet memes generally reserved for only the nerdiest of Warcrafters.

Quote:Second...yeah I can understand them talking about it amongst themselves, like I do with my army buddies, but I dont run around bragging about what I've been through to people who werent there for the sole reason of impressing random people and being an attention whore, which i see ALOT from that certain section of this profession.

As they say on Law and Order, "Objection - conjecture." You're making the assumption that they do this "for the sole reason of impressing random people and being an attention whore." Where's the evidence that this is why they're doing it?

Quote:Third, I never made any claims other than going through things overseas. I'm not going to get into details nor do I want to, why would I want to share that shit with anyone outside of the people who I went through it with?

We all go through things. It's what life is about. Your shit isn't any better or worse than mine, just different.

Quote:fourth - like I dont know what those beepers are for, i was just saying that yes they did try to show them off, but you do make a good point.

Your entire argument is predicated on (yet another) assumption. You're assuming that these people of whom you speak actually desire YOUR blessings. Who's the pompass a-hole?

Quote:fifth - you're trying to tell me the country boys see more action on a daily or weekly basis than the city guys? right. but I see what you're saying.

Burned bodies are burned bodies - they smell the same in Manhattan that they do in Kansas.

Quote:and finally, I dont have any idea why you think me saying that I was in the army somehow means that I'm demanding respect from people. thats effing ridiculous, I said it as a way to show that you can do something that you put your life on the line for, like being a firefighter, police officer, etc etc, without trying to seek attention and acceptance from everyone you cross paths with. thats where the whole "quiet professional" things come in.

During my time as a firefighter, I really tried to not fall into the "oooh look at me" crap, because I'm NOT the type that likes attention. (I'm much more content to be sitting in the corner reading, being left the eff alone.) But I've known plenty. They're usually pretty easily identified. That said, I've always thought that if I'm the one stuck on the top floor of a burning hotel, the odds are pretty slim that I'll interview each firefighter as they come in to get me...you know, just to make sure I don't get saved by a dickish one.

Quote:But then again, you were a marine, so I doubt any of this will really make any sense to you. (semi-kidding, jarhead)

I had to look up a few, but for the most part the words were small enough. Much appreciated. (Ain't Ready for the Marines Yet....)
Quote:just to clearification on full time FF's vs. Volunteers. I have the same basic training and do the same extra trainings as guys in GR (trainings depend on our aread clearly) or any big city with full time departments. The difference is I take my classes at night, on my time. I also leave for fire calls when i'm playing with my kids, or eating Christmas dinner with my family and then go to work the next day at 8 after fighting fire from 12am to 6am.

Full time and volunteer are different worlds, I don't think you can compare by how many calls are gone on or what kind of calls. The knowledge is the same (usually) as with the dedication and passion. While I agree that SOME FFs and EMT can be cocky I also agree that there are just as many Service men and women that are the same way.

Agreed, Howie. I vollied for 2 years (before moving out of the district and into the jurisdiction of a paid department). I'd often hear people distinguish the two as "volunteer" vs. "professional" fire departments, something I took great issue with.

The training is identical, the fires are identical, and the equipment is identical. The only difference is the size of the paycheck.
hotzester Wrote:Burned bodies are burned bodies - they smell the same in Manhattan that they do in Kansas.

plus might i add, as volunteers often do so in towns where they live and grew up...they're often saving friends, and family...not strangers.
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
hotzester Wrote:During my time as a firefighter, I really tried to not fall into the "oooh look at me" crap, because I'm NOT the type that likes attention. (I'm much more content to be sitting in the corner reading, being left the eff alone.) But I've known plenty. They're usually pretty easily identified. That said, I've always thought that if I'm the one stuck on the top floor of a burning hotel, the odds are pretty slim that I'll interview each firefighter as they come in to get me...you know, just to make sure I don't get saved by a dickish one.

Quote:But then again, you were a marine, so I doubt any of this will really make any sense to you. (semi-kidding, jarhead)

I had to look up a few, but for the most part the words were small enough. Much appreciated. (Ain't Ready for the Marines Yet....)

I'm not saying all firefighters are like that, all Iw as areally trying to say was that yeah, it does get annoying, I lived with one of those "newbie" firefighters/emt's last year when I had a roomate in college. I wanted to strangle that a-hole daily. all I want to do is be left alone and he feels the need to tell me all about his job and shit. and i just find it interesting that there seemed to be a trend with firefighteres, becuase i had seen this type of behavior time and time and time and time again.
flyersfantn Wrote:But then again, you were a marine, so I doubt any of this will really make any sense to you. Wink (semi-kidding, jarhead)

Dear Mr. Semi-Kidder:

At least the marines know how to spell.
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
Queenie Wrote:
flyersfantn Wrote:But then again, you were a marine, so I doubt any of this will really make any sense to you. Wink (semi-kidding, jarhead)

Dear Mr. Semi-Kidder:

Oh no, I made a spelling and/or grammar error on the internet. whatever shall I do?

:Smile
Quote:I'm not saying all firefighters are like that, all Iw as areally trying to say was that yeah, it does get annoying, I lived with one of those "newbie" firefighters/emt's last year when I had a roomate in college. I wanted to strangle that a-hole daily. all I want to do is be left alone and he feels the need to tell me all about his job and shit. and i just find it interesting that there seemed to be a trend with firefighteres, becuase i had seen this type of behavior time and time and time and time again.

So essentially, you're making the generalization based on one individual...an individual who may have considered you a friend, since you were living together...and may have just wanted to tell you about his/her day, since you were the first friend he/she saw upon arriving home?
flyersfantn Wrote:
Queenie Wrote:Dear Mr. Semi-Kidder:

Oh no, I made a spelling and/or grammar error on the internet. whatever shall I do?

:Smile

Here's what you can do. Use that spell check feature. :Smile

And actually, you made both, but I didn't bother pointing out the grammar mistakes. I try not to be a grammar nazi, and I'm not really a spelling nazi either. I just thought it was ironic that you were basically calling hotzester stupid or unintelligent.

More rolling eyes for you -------->> :Smile :Smile :Smile :Smile
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
holy cow people, i was joking around. didnt mean to get this big stink started. Dont care about what people think of me or my job. Just given zane some sh.. on the radio. everyone needs to take a valium and relax. Smiles everyone it is the holiday
Well then in addition to being an "ambulance driver", you've got no sense of humor, because your emails to the show didn't sound at all like you were kidding.
hotzester Wrote:Well then in addition to being an "ambulance driver", you've got no sense of humor, because your emails to the show didn't sound at all like you were kidding.

Why did you put ambulance driver in quotes . . . Big Grin

it only works the other way around!!
medicron Wrote:holy cow people, i was joking around. didnt mean to get this big stink started. Dont care about what people think of me or my job. Just given zane some sh.. on the radio. everyone needs to take a valium and relax. Smiles everyone it is the holiday

Wait, this thread got off-topic, everyone talk about me again!!
burnking Wrote:
medicron Wrote:holy cow people, i was joking around. didnt mean to get this big stink started. Dont care about what people think of me or my job. Just given zane some sh.. on the radio. everyone needs to take a valium and relax. Smiles everyone it is the holiday

Your avatar is annoying, but you post some pretty awesome pictures.
Queenie Wrote:
burnking Wrote:Wait, this thread got off-topic, everyone talk about me again!!

Your avatar is annoying, but you post some pretty awesome pictures.

Perhaps I should have clarified that was me being ron the holiday hess truck driver.

Also, point taken. The truffle shuffle will soon be gone because it annoys me, too.
For the record Burnking......I got it. And you nailed it.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
Admin Wrote:For the record Burnking......I got it. And you nailed it.

I second this motion.
potthole Wrote:
Admin Wrote:For the record Burnking......I got it. And you nailed it.

I second this motion.

I third!!

Flyersfan.....God, give it a rest!!!!!! You're just as bad as medicron! If that's all you have to bitch about in life, consider youself lucky! Next time you're in trouble and need the services of these "small town, cocky EMT/FF's" I hope they pass you by!
mainerliser Wrote:I hope they pass you by!

we wouldn't.

just as he served a country full of people he probably doesn't care for.
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
burnking Wrote:
medicron Wrote:holy cow people, i was joking around. didn't mean to get this big stink started. Don't care about what people think of me or my job. Just given Zane some sh.. on the radio. everyone needs to take a Valium and relax. Smiles everyone it is the holiday

No one, no matter what there job is, is always made to feel appreciated. From the President to the local pantry cook. Take pride in your work, and yes i should not have cared what Zane said. He didn't even say it maliciously. I appreciated the veterans and all they do for us. Call me an ambulance driver, if that is all you know. Not even 10% of the public realizes what my job description is. The same way, I don't know exactly what a legal assistant, or a radio host does. Final note just appreciate what people do for what they do. No need to brag about it, just do it. From here on my actions will speak for me and my patients. thanks everyone for the insight
On a side note, Ron...trust me when I say I can relate - I used to be a flight attendant, for Christ's sake. If you'd like to talk about public misconceptions, I could talk for months! When FBHW say "stewardess", my ears get hot, and I usually send them an email that goes unnoticed begging them to not use the word "stewardess". I get that. But I know they're never going to understand, so that's as far as it goes.
medicron Wrote:
burnking Wrote:Wait, this thread got off-topic, everyone talk about me again!!
No one, no matter what there job is, is always made to feel appreciated. From the President to the local pantry cook. Take pride in your work, and yes i should not have cared what Zane said. He didn't even say it maliciously. I appreciated the veterans and all they do for us. Call me an ambulance driver, if that is all you know. Not even 10% of the public realizes what my job description is. The same way, I don't know exactly what a legal assistant, or a radio host does. Final note just appreciate what people do for what they do. No need to brag about it, just do it. From here on my actions will speak for me and my patients. thanks everyone for the insight

Buck up buddy! I'm a Medical Technologist with 20 years experience in laboratory medicine and research. I can't tell you how many times I have been called "lab girl". No one has a clue what anyone does unless they do it.
medicron Wrote:yes i should not have cared what Zane said. He didn't even say it maliciously.

So what you are saying is that you really were pissed and then you tried to downplay it after you got beat down so hard, right?
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
Very tactful observation Biff.
medicron Wrote:No one, no matter what there job is, is always made to feel appreciated.

Is it English skills like this that got you into driving school?

medicron Wrote:I appreciated the veterans and all they do for us.

Why'd you stop?
Allyson can back me up on this one. I'm an actuary. A very small percentage of people have even heard of the job, and most don't fully grasp what I do even after an explanation. Based on the industry stereotype, people assume I'm introverted, and lack social skills. Does that mean I'm allowed to get all huffy puffy if someone calls me a math nerd or number cruncher? I understand that it can be insulting if someone downplays your job, but at the same time you have to understand that everyone doesn't know everything about every job. Don't be an f'ing martyr and learn to roll with the punches.
I could think of a million questions for you burnking!!! What type of company do you work for, or do you act as a consultant? What types of things do you forcast, and how? I am amazed with people who have an aptitude for statistics. I use statistics, but don't understand nearly enough about it!!
We wish you a Merry Chrisrtmas.... ( C'mon, everybody!!!, I can't hear you...)
Oooh I know what an actuary is! YAY ME! (And I did even before "Along Came Polly"!)
mainerliser Wrote:I could think of a million questions for you burnking!!! What type of company do you work for, or do you act as a consultant? What types of things do you forcast, and how? I am amazed with people who have an aptitude for statistics. I use statistics, but don't understand nearly enough about it!!

I work for a life insurance company. It's slightly morbid.

hotzester Wrote:Oooh I know what an actuary is! YAY ME! (And I did even before "Along Came Polly"!)

That movie completely glorified the profession, which I didn't even think was possible.
I used to sell life insurance in a past life...even I knew that movie made actuarial tables look fun!
hotzester Wrote:I used to sell life insurance in a past life...even I knew that movie made actuarial tables look fun!

Yeah, liars. I get to look at dismemberment charts, complete with how much they got, what they lost, and how.
burnking Wrote:
hotzester Wrote:I used to sell life insurance in a past life...even I knew that movie made actuarial tables look fun!

Yeah, liars. I get to look at dismemberment charts, complete with how much they got, what they lost, and how.

I can sort of relate to getting those. I'll get all sorts of hospital records on patients of ours that have passed away, usually going into all the details of how the person died.
I work in the Emergency Department, Potthole....one of the big tasks I deal with is processing ED Charts. Some graphic stuff there!