Poll: Should the show bring back NTT as a weekly feature?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, every week
86.96%
60 86.96%
Yes, but not every week
7.25%
5 7.25%
No
5.80%
4 5.80%
Total 69 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Name That Tune
"Hits From the Bong"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8QOB_gl4N0[/youtube]
I am the irrepressible dark horse.
Film it. Listen to it. Live it. Love it.

All the best,
The Mayor of Awesometown
Thanks
Well, I guess that we all learned a lesson today. That it's what's inside a person that counts. And that on the inside, midgets are thieving little bastards.
Just like a bad girlfriend: they take it away, tease you with it, then take it away for good Sad I think Free Beer was just looking for a reason to take it away again!
RIP, Name That Tune.

Horribly disappointing. My theory is that FB and Kurt Busch conspired to kill it off.....
I'm.......kind of a big deal. People know me.
I knew this was going to happen.
KNEW it.
I do believe my heart is just a little bit broken.
"I'm glad to see those 'Worthless Whore' lessons turned out well for you."
Intern Kyle Busch deserves a good mob attack for effing it up.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
admin Wrote:Intern Kyle Busch deserves a good mob attack for effing it up.

Agreed. Next to DTZ, that's my favorite segment.
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
I don't think Kurt can be blamed for this, honestly. I agree that it did seem Free Beer was looking for a reason to cut the segment. Kurt did what he would do any other week, make a list. If it was the old format of the game, his argument was that some of the other show members would have gotten some of those or at least buzzed in. Agreeable I think. The songs happened to be in the wheelhouse of Zane, but the rest of his songs were open to the competition when he read them off, I think. I think Kurt's getting thrown under the bus here, and unjustifiably.
What I find odd is how when there used to be changes to the show, all the members were very forthcoming and open about why it happened. With NTT, there has been nothing. They know it is a very popular segment, which indicates to me that there is outside influence, i.e. "syndicator guy." What the rationale is, I have no idea. Maybe they want to diversify markets or not exclude people who apparently despise music. I haven't the slightest, but it is VERY fishy to why they don't open up why the change was made. "Going on a break" is not an explanation and only makes everyone more suspicious. I don't care if HW gets all pissy on here or anywhere, it is a justifiable issue. I love the content, but lately the show feels like it is all planned bits. For example: news story, banter, WHWT, break, outrageous medical story, banter, tease, break, game, break, short break, break. It seems very formulaic right now. The show is at its funniest when it is a lot of spur of the moment stuff. The "miracle turd" bit, Zane's sweater segment. One of my favorite bits ever was when FB forgot the show plan and every member had to run their own segment. Genius. But it was on the fly. Do they just want 5 hours of planned show every day?
No... this morning they had another (similar) "miracle turd" bit.
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
This is a dark day in radio history. RIP Name that Tune, you will be missed. It wasn't your fault.
Sir, they're not going to allow you to...break the law
RIP NTT...you will be greatly missed and apparently the show doesn't care about their fans opinions because clearly the majority of the people here want it to stay and I would guess we are a pretty good cross section of listeners...

Cry :thumbdown:
"What you are about to see is top secret. Do not tell my mother."
kpaff3587 Wrote:I don't think Kurt can be blamed for this, honestly. I agree that it did seem Free Beer was looking for a reason to cut the segment. Kurt did what he would do any other week, make a list. If it was the old format of the game, his argument was that some of the other show members would have gotten some of those or at least buzzed in. Agreeable I think. The songs happened to be in the wheelhouse of Zane, but the rest of his songs were open to the competition when he read them off, I think. I think Kurt's getting thrown under the bus here, and unjustifiably.
What I find odd is how when there used to be changes to the show, all the members were very forthcoming and open about why it happened. With NTT, there has been nothing. They know it is a very popular segment, which indicates to me that there is outside influence, i.e. "syndicator guy." What the rationale is, I have no idea. Maybe they want to diversify markets or not exclude people who apparently despise music. I haven't the slightest, but it is VERY fishy to why they don't open up why the change was made. "Going on a break" is not an explanation and only makes everyone more suspicious. I don't care if HW gets all pissy on here or anywhere, it is a justifiable issue. I love the content, but lately the show feels like it is all planned bits. For example: news story, banter, WHWT, break, outrageous medical story, banter, tease, break, game, break, short break, break. It seems very formulaic right now. The show is at its funniest when it is a lot of spur of the moment stuff. The "miracle turd" bit, Zane's sweater segment. One of my favorite bits ever was when FB forgot the show plan and every member had to run their own segment. Genius. But it was on the fly. Do they just want 5 hours of planned show every day?

Ditto
Well, I guess that we all learned a lesson today. That it's what's inside a person that counts. And that on the inside, midgets are thieving little bastards.
-Jiggy- Wrote:
kpaff3587 Wrote:I don't think Kurt can be blamed for this, honestly. I agree that it did seem Free Beer was looking for a reason to cut the segment. Kurt did what he would do any other week, make a list. If it was the old format of the game, his argument was that some of the other show members would have gotten some of those or at least buzzed in. Agreeable I think. The songs happened to be in the wheelhouse of Zane, but the rest of his songs were open to the competition when he read them off, I think. I think Kurt's getting thrown under the bus here, and unjustifiably.

Ditto

I agree as well, at this point I am debating renewing my podcast subscription because IMHO the show has went downhill a lot in the last month. I love the spur of the moment segments, but other than that every once in a while it seems to be more of a "canned" show now and not as off the cuff as it was in the past.
Wanted to add that they got rid of a great segment (today was bad, but that is rare) instead of something like Sportier Than Thou which the listeners have virtually no chance of ever winning, what Free Beer has lost 10 times or so in over 150 games...

Also the segments in which listeners can win something are quickly disappearing with Stump the Show and NTT both gone, that leaves what DTZ?
As much as it really, and I mean REALLY pains me to say this....but it seams as if they are selling out. My heart drops every time I think about that, and I almost shed a tear. Everything is just so obvious, and so coincidental that it is just reeeaaaalllllyyyyyy fishy.

And it is not KB's fault for the NTT disaster. THE NEW FORMAT WAS SET UP TO FAIL! Free beer wanted it gone a long time ago, and was just looking for a reason to get rid of it.

The thing is is that ive grown up listening to these guys and it just really sucks for the show to have gone so far down hill so quickly. Dont get me wrong, i still love the show, just not nearly as much as i did before.

Well said. If we could still exhalt on this new board I'd give you one.

Whenever there's a recurring segment and someone e-mails saying they hate it the guys have the same (and I think fair) argument about how it doesn't last very long compared to how much content they put out a week. So why can't they use that same argument with NTT? It's only 2 or 3 segments a week and most people seem to love it.

What happened to the old FB&HW that would tell the people in charge to eff off because they don't have a formula and just do what feels right and seems to work? They're just dropping all of the classic stuff. Other games and segments come and go but two things have always lived on: Name Than Tune and Dumber Than Zane. Now one of those has fallen. What the crap?

If something isn't broken then don't fix it. Was NTT ever broken? I say no. Little changes were fine like alternating who made the list. But then they completely changed the entire mechanics of the game and what a surprise, it was quickly cancelled. This smells and it smells really bad.

Anyone who says change is expected and the show is just evolving can stick it. When you take the bit that seems to always get positive response, has been a corner stone of the show and continues to be vastly entertaining then dump it for a B.S. reason that's not evolving. Getting rid of what works is devolving.

If the syndicator is telling them to cut this then I just wish someone from the show would come into this thread (you know they've read it) and simply tell us what's really up.

All the best,
The Mayor of Awesometown
I'm not sure NTT is gone for good, but it will be a retooling.

The thoughts on this second guessing our motives are pretty amazing. Why would I go out of my way to kill what was my favorite segment? Or maybe you think I was lying then?

For those who say we don't listen, why do you think it came back at all? Because you spoke out.

As for other changes, let me speak to several of them:

Bleeping truncated swear words: This was easy. We PROBABLY wouldn't have gotten in trouble for them. But they also don't add anything to the show. In the meantime, doing it actively kept us from adding several stations. And ultimately, that's the goal. The show is still the same, the topics are still the same.

As for dumping NTT to have a more planned show, having NTT every Friday made that the easiest day to plan on of the week. I loved having that to lean on every Friday.

I can't say that you should like any changes or you shouldn't. After all, we spend 5 hours a day judging everything and everyone else, so you are certainly welcome to judge us. But in the end, I'd prefer people didn't always assume we're someone how doing stuff for all the worst reasons possible. Sometimes its just what we think is best. Sometimes we're right and sometimes we're wrong. Just like like we have been for the first 13 years we've done the show. These are all changes that we've considered for a long time, we merely decided to stop moving at a glacial pace. You'll see when the new website debuts.

In the end, thanks for continued listening and for caring enough to post!
freebeer came through and crushed buildings
As much as I and im sure others loved that response FreeBeer, it still somewhat danced around things. The main thing that makes things smell fishy is the new syndicator guy, and you didnt mention him. Another thing that you didnt mention and a move that made a lot of people on this board scratch their heads was when NTT was originally taken off you guys made absolutely no mention of it. That is completely uncharacteristic of you guys. Anyways, this could be me nitpicking. Thanks for the response to the other things freebeer, that really is cool for you to take time out of your day to respond to your fans.
Name that tune was fine that way it was on friday. Freebeer needs to quit bein a puss.. basketball should have taught him that he cant win at everything!

BOO FBHW
ps.. the new way... the taking away the competition from the members of the show was very sucky.. we need a sacrificial lamb... whos retarded idea was that?
sorry... im a podcaster so im hearing this late... freebeer your on such on a witch hunt..... every songs been good... i hate you
i cant even listen to the rest of the podcast.. freebeer your banned for 2 weeks.

... i feel like im gonna effin vomit
Glad to see Free Beer's response to finally get some closure on this. I love NTT as much as anyone, but I still gotta have faith that the guys know what they're doing a hell of a lot more than I do, and they've been doing it for a long time. Who knows, maybe something else will come along that will be another home run segment. If the show seems different, it's just in a transition period. Now I'm all pumped for the new website too.

Also glad to see Free Beer address the bleeped swear words. At least now there's confirmation as to why it's done. Long term, it's a small thing they're doing to make the show better overall. More stations = more money = more possibilities.
Sir, they're not going to allow you to...break the law
freebeer Wrote:I'm not sure NTT is gone for good, but it will be a retooling.

The thoughts on this second guessing our motives are pretty amazing. Why would I go out of my way to kill what was my favorite segment? Or maybe you think I was lying then?

For those who say we don't listen, why do you think it came back at all? Because you spoke out.

Bleeping truncated swear words: This was easy. We PROBABLY wouldn't have gotten in trouble for them. But they also don't add anything to the show. In the meantime, doing it actively kept us from adding several stations. And ultimately, that's the goal. The show is still the same, the topics are still the same.

As for dumping NTT to have a more planned show, having NTT every Friday made that the easiest day to plan on of the week. I loved having that to lean on every Friday.

I can't say that you should like any changes or you shouldn't. After all, we spend 5 hours a day judging everything and everyone else, so you are certainly welcome to judge us. But in the end, I'd prefer people didn't always assume we're someone how doing stuff for all the worst reasons possible. Sometimes its just what we think is best. Sometimes we're right and sometimes we're wrong. Just like like we have been for the first 13 years we've done the show. These are all changes that we've considered for a long time, we merely decided to stop moving at a glacial pace. You'll see when the new website debuts.

I appreciate you at least responding. I'm sure we all do. But I have to ask, why was NTT retooled in the first place? What prompted the original change? It seems to me that NTT worked the best when Joe did the list every week or when the four of you alternated who did the list based on who won (no offense to Kurt Busch.) So I'm just wondering what made you think moving it to Monday with different rules would be a better idea then kicking it old skool? I agree that the show should always move forward but it's still really nice to have a few tried and true bits every week like NTT, Dumber Than Zane and Joe stunts. (Yes, even What Hot Wings Thinks even though I don't care for it.)

If there was some actual research that went into these changes I'd love to pick your brain a little bit and hear about what goes into making these decisions.

I also agree that people shouldn't jump to conclusions and make assumptions but it is a natural reaction for people to assume the worst. You guys are very busy and I know you mentioned on the show that you're going to do blogs on the revamped website which sounds tremendous. But until then I think it'd be really cool if you guys posted more thoughts here. You readily admit that the show is going through a lot of changes right now so this should be the time when you have a lot to say.

Look at us. We're your super nerdy, hardcore fanbase that will probably never go away even if you were off the air in our markets. More than anyone, we'd love to know what's up. Thanks for the time and keep up the great work. I really can't wait for the new website.

All the best,
The Mayor of Awesometown
freebeer Wrote:I'm not sure NTT is gone for good, but it will be a retooling.

I appreciate the reply Free Beer, and it explains many of the questions we all had. But I must ask why all the segments that allowed listeners to call in and try and win something are disappearing? FIrst STS, then NTT and now the only segment that has any winning involved is DTZ. I can't see anyone sponsoring STT because you almost always win, listeners only win about 7-10% of the time. I would figure that the ability to win things might draw attention in new markets especially from those that are up in the air about listening to your show in the first place. It just seems odd that the segments that are gone are the ones that were some of the most listener oriented segments.
Things I left out:

The syndicator: He has nothing to do with changes that are made. His job is to sell advertising and get new stations. He is a businessman and has not interest or desire to police content on our show, which is why we chose him.

NTT moving: The game felt tired to us the way it was, and changes were made to see if we could keep it going and spice it up. (Just like when we had made other changes to it before). It was not mentioned on the air because we wanted to see if there would be a reaction. We have done that with other segments before, and if no one reacts then we know we are on the right track.

Thank again for listening and caring.
freebeer Wrote:Things I left out:

The syndicator: He has nothing to do with changes that are made. His job is to sell advertising and get new stations. He is a businessman and has not interest or desire to police content on our show, which is why we chose him.

NTT moving: The game felt tired to us the way it was, and changes were made to see if we could keep it going and spice it up. (Just like when we had made other changes to it before). It was not mentioned on the air because we wanted to see if there would be a reaction. We have done that with other segments before, and if no one reacts then we know we are on the right track.

Thank again for listening and caring.
Thank you for this. Hopefully with all this feedback you guys will try to bring it back for at least one more try. Make sure that minger KB is on the right page and HW knows the rules and we should be all set.
sorry freebeer.. i dont hate you! :thumbup: last night.... looking forward to the podcast... just kinda felt like a kick in my balls..

ill get over it tho! keep up the good work!!
You need to put IKB where he belongs. Fired. No longer with the show. He's no longer an intern, he doesn't deserve the priviledge of making the producer's booth smell like grundle once a week.
Everyday you reinvent yourself into a bigger cock-shite than ever. It's incredible. I don't know how you do it. I admire you.

I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
I think NTT started going downhill when it became "Guess the theme". The kind of random lists were better because you never knew what song was coming up next. Whoever makes this list could take suggestions from the listeners to come up with lists that could be challenging, but also fun. Fridays were the best because it was the end of the week, a little more laid back and relaxed.

As for thinking of ideas to improve, even though I'm one of the majority at the top of this to vote for "every week", maybe it would be better to alternate it. Maybe bring back Uncanny Impressions some week, that was always good for a laugh. As for Stump the Show, a simple solution is to have the call screener listen to the question first and not send through stupid ones. I know this may lead to accusations of bias, but they aren't out to shut out the listeners.

And this whole thing about the show changing. Yes, I've heard it too. I think I was one of the first to bring up how disappointed I was at the censoring during the flashbacks. A part of me dies everytime I hear a beep, but that's society's fault, not anyone from the show. Remember, they lost Fort Smith because they felt the show was too dirty. With Howard Stern gone, and Bob & Tom getting old, we are on the verge of FBHW being giant. Maybe it's like those punk bands where people complain that "They are getting too successful." It's ridiculous, but I admit I get those feelings sometimes. They need to do what they feel they need to do to be successful.
Ashleyme Wrote:I think NTT started going downhill when it became "Guess the theme". The kind of random lists were better because you never knew what song was coming up next. Whoever makes this list could take suggestions from the listeners to come up with lists that could be challenging, but also fun. Fridays were the best because it was the end of the week, a little more laid back and relaxed.

As for thinking of ideas to improve, even though I'm one of the majority at the top of this to vote for "every week", maybe it would be better to alternate it. Maybe bring back Uncanny Impressions some week, that was always good for a laugh. As for Stump the Show, a simple solution is to have the call screener listen to the question first and not send through stupid ones. I know this may lead to accusations of bias, but they aren't out to shut out the listeners.

And this whole thing about the show changing. Yes, I've heard it too. I think I was one of the first to bring up how disappointed I was at the censoring during the flashbacks. A part of me dies everytime I hear a beep, but that's society's fault, not anyone from the show. Remember, they lost Fort Smith because they felt the show was too dirty. With Howard Stern gone, and Bob & Tom getting old, we are on the verge of FBHW being giant. Maybe it's like those punk bands where people complain that "They are getting too successful." It's ridiculous, but I admit I get those feelings sometimes. They need to do what they feel they need to do to be successful.

I agree with everything you said. I just hope that DTZ or WHWT doesn't get tired to them. NTT was my favorite segment of the show, every week! It provided me with countless song titles that I had previously forgotten about that now infest my Zune.

However, they have said it time and time again: if you don't like it then why are you listening? I, for one, will continue to podcast and listen to every segment, and I will trust that what they do is for the best. I may not be happy with it, but eventually, I'm sure, I will see the light.
alpacafarmer Wrote:Name that tune was fine that way it was on friday. Freebeer needs to quit bein a puss.. basketball should have taught him that he cant win at everything!

BOO FBHW

alpacafarmer Wrote:ps.. the new way... the taking away the competition from the members of the show was very sucky.. we need a sacrificial lamb... whos retarded idea was that?

alpacafarmer Wrote:sorry... im a podcaster so im hearing this late... freebeer your on such on a witch hunt..... every songs been good... i hate you

alpacafarmer Wrote:i cant even listen to the rest of the podcast.. freebeer your banned for 2 weeks.

... i feel like im gonna effin vomit

Really? Four seperate posts all in a row for this? Was that needed? :wtf:
mayorofawesometown Wrote:Look at us. We're your super nerdy, hardcore fanbase that will probably never go away even if you were off the air in our markets. More than anyone, we'd love to know what's up. Thanks for the time and keep up the great work. I really can't wait for the new website.

Guilty. I live in Washington State now and still listen religiously.
Coincidentally I will be a stone's throw from Fort Smith when I move. I plan on renewing my podcast as well. Hopefully I can get some people turned onto it and get it back on the airwaves down there.
yea pothole.. it was.
I gotta say, I'm a little amazed that NTT was feeling tired. Forever and ever I'd hear all four of the guys say that NTT was their favorite segment, they looked forward to it all week long and it was a great way to kick off a weekend. I totally agreed. Then over the course of a few months it drops from best segment of the week down to tired and needing of being spiced up? Wow.

Like I said earlier, much love to Kurt Busch but I think spicing up was the problem. The segment was perfect with Joe always picking the list or last week's winner picking it with listener help.

I also agree with zdunklee. I always assumed the best way to get fans involved and to draw in new listeners was to have games. There used to be games that you got prizes just for playing like "Uncanny Impressions" and "Smarter Than a Fifth Grader." Now there are only two games. "Dumber Than Zane" is next to impossible just to play and FB's record speaks for itself on "Sportier Than Thou." The calling in and winning avenue of listener interactions is just about dried up.

All the best,
The Mayor of Awesometown
freebeer Wrote:NTT moving: The game felt tired to us the way it was, and changes were made to see if we could keep it going and spice it up.

Is anything more tired then the endless amount of morons that try to compete in Sportier than thou?
I agree the show does seem different. I don't think in a good way. NTT was always so much fun. I do not think it was ever getting tired. I got people to tune in just because of that segment. They have changed so much it's almost crazy. The morning show I used to listen to has not done much changing at all in all their years. It might be a good reason why they are still so popular. If it's not broke dont fix it.
pants on the ground! pants on the ground!