Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Forum Questions, suggestions, etc
Opus Wrote:I'm working on some stuff. Check them again, please let me know which ones (if they still are) are messed up.
You talking to me, or Howie?

This thread is one that doesn't load completely the first time, it takes a refresh or two to get to the bottom posts....
I'm.......kind of a big deal. People know me.
This may have been said already, and it may be nit-picky, but I wish the "Board Index" link was closer to the boards themselves like on the old forum. I don't like having to scroll up and search for it because, well, I'm lazy.
"I'm glad to see those 'Worthless Whore' lessons turned out well for you."
krys Wrote:This may have been said already, and it may be nit-picky, but I wish the "Board Index" link was closer to the boards themselves like on the old forum. I don't like having to scroll up and search for it because, well, I'm lazy.

You can also scroll down and use the "jump to" feature on the right below the quick reply box.
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
Quit being lazy then. Big Grin
What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad.
Queenie Wrote:
krys Wrote:This may have been said already, and it may be nit-picky, but I wish the "Board Index" link was closer to the boards themselves like on the old forum. I don't like having to scroll up and search for it because, well, I'm lazy.

You can also scroll down and use the "jump to" feature on the right below the quick reply box.

There's actually a button in the bottom right corner of every post that jumps to the top of the screen.
i already made mention of this to opus, but when we are quoting someone, could the date/time link to the post and their name link to their profile?

right now names at the left make a weird bolded name thingy...wtf does that do anyway...?

test:

burnking,

*edit* huh, it just creates a greeting line...
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:i already made mention of this to opus, but when we are quoting someone, could the date/time link to the post and their name link to their profile?

right now names at the left make a weird bolded name thingy...wtf does that do anyway...?

test:

burnking,

If you click on the avatar, it sends you to their profile.
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
Howie Feltersnatch, the stoopedest member of this forum.

Huh that works pretty well, happy first pick on howie day on the new forum everybody! :mrgreen:
"What you are about to see is top secret. Do not tell my mother."
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:i already made mention of this to opus, but when we are quoting someone, could the date/time link to the post and their name link to their profile?

test:

burnking,

It was part of the quick reply box.. in theory its supposed to be the same as quoting that person, but its a little flawed. I will try to remove that and link it back straight to the profile.
What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad.
I can't get used to this shit.
That's what she said.
allyson Wrote:I can't get used to this shit.

Agreed. I don't like new things.
It takes time to adjust and some of the changes are still in progress. Give it a few days.
Can I have a button that pours me a Guinness ?
Wowie Groovie !
burnking Wrote:
Queenie Wrote:

There's actually a button in the bottom right corner of every post that jumps to the top of the screen.
Plus there is the pulldown menu at the bottom.

I've bookmarked the "new posts" link in my bookmark toolbar so I just hit that when I am at the end of a thread.

Firefox rules bitches!
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
I don't know if this would be a welcome change but i figure i would suggest it considering i use my phone to get here a lot. I found a mobile phone add on that will detect the cell phone and adjust the font and everything to make it a cell friendly page. Now I don't know how well this works or looks and all, but i figure it may be worth a shot. here is the link. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/8891" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/8891</a><!-- m -->
It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.
[spoiler]Shit, you took away the black bar. Put it the fuck back now![/spoiler]
I would just like to delete when I accidentally double post or say something so stupid I hate myself.
I also don't understand the inability to delete a post, or edit if after a certain amount of time (how long is it anyway?) In the case of a accidental double-post, or I have made posts before, but realized that I just repeated someone, or tried to make a poll and effed up. Why can't we delete them? What bad can come from it? As far as the editing thing, I have come across one of my posts from earlier in the day that I realized I made a dumb spelling mistake and corrected it several times. Why is this a bad thing? (especially with no spellchecker)

Can you elaborate on your thinking biff?
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
can you guys enable the {flash} code ability? this will let us embed flash on to the posts including youtube videos and other things like that
Another couple questions:

Is the forum supposed to stretch to embedded pictures? I was just looking at the first page of this thread and the pics are cut off: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.fbhwforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=628" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=6&t=628</a><!-- l -->

The "Pop-Up" description when mousing over a thread title is "New Posts," however when clicking on that link it takes you to the first post in the thread. Intentional false advertisement, or oversight?
I'm.......kind of a big deal. People know me.
BWN 7 Wrote:Another couple questions:

Is the forum supposed to stretch to embedded pictures? I was just looking at the first page of this thread and the pics are cut off: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.fbhwforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=628" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=6&t=628</a><!-- l -->

The "Pop-Up" description when mousing over a thread title is "New Posts," however when clicking on that link it takes you to the first post in the thread. Intentional false advertisement, or oversight?

the pics are limited in the frame. biff set it that way.
BWN 7 Wrote:The "Pop-Up" description when mousing over a thread title is "New Posts," however when clicking on that link it takes you to the first post in the thread. Intentional false advertisement, or oversight?

It informs you that there is either new posts in there, or no new posts. If you want to go to the last post click on this button: [Image: icon_topic_latest.gif] next to the latest posters name, on the far right.
Rock Monster Wrote:I also don't understand the inability to delete a post, or edit if after a certain amount of time (how long is it anyway?) In the case of a accidental double-post, or I have made posts before, but realized that I just repeated someone, or tried to make a poll and effed up. Why can't we delete them? What bad can come from it? As far as the editing thing, I have come across one of my posts from earlier in the day that I realized I made a dumb spelling mistake and corrected it several times. Why is this a bad thing? (especially with no spellchecker)

Can you elaborate on your thinking biff?

Just bumping my own post, hoping that Biff will see it and give an explaination. (mainly on the edit... I don't really care about the delete)

... I know, I'm a post whore. I don't care. F You. And the horse you rode in on.
In the past, and this is coming from a message board veteran (10+ years), users being able to delete their own posts is a bad thing.

This is just my opinion of these functions, I am unsure of what Biff's opinion of them is.

Consider a user who goes on a rampage and riles up 20 other users by posting stuff he/she should not and the said 20 users retaliate and a flame war begins. Now the original user goes back and deletes all his posts, thus making the other 20 users look like idiots and leaving no way for the moderators to backtrack and see what happened.

As for the edit thing.. same reason. Though I did up the time limit a bit from 10 minutes.
Usually, when there is a flame war, people quote the original said dolt. Then when they go back and edit/delete the original posts, they look even worse, because 10 people have quoted them already.

like I said, the delete thing... whatever.....

Not being able to edit a spelling mistake is really annoying. (compounded by the fact that there is no spell check.... and like I have said many times, but before you can say it, firefox isn't an option.)
Firefox is not an option for me either. I am still looking for a spell checker that I can implement.
Cool... no need to hurry on my part. I'm just venting. (aka - being a whiny bitch)
I've already posted a few times in the wrong sections because I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. I need delete, because I am unlikely to pay more attention to what I'm doing.
Opus Wrote:In the past, and this is coming from a message board veteran (10+ years), users being able to delete their own posts is a bad thing.

This is just my opinion of these functions, I am unsure of what Biff's opinion of them is.

Consider a user who goes on a rampage and riles up 20 other users by posting stuff he/she should not and the said 20 users retaliate and a flame war begins. Now the original user goes back and deletes all his posts, thus making the other 20 users look like idiots and leaving no way for the moderators to backtrack and see what happened.

As for the edit thing.. same reason. Though I did up the time limit a bit from 10 minutes.

This pretty much so sums it up. If you double post then we can fix that.

I don't like people editing/deleting posts. It detracts from the board IMO.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
hey opus, hope this is a help.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/3815" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/3815</a><!-- m -->
spell checker Smile
I don't know if you found similar or not, i seem to be behind on topics here and all :roll:
Hey Biffholeus,

The search button seems to be even less useful here than it was at the old site. Can you make any adjustments to it ?
Wowie Groovie !
Titan! Wrote:Hey Biffholeus,

The search button seems to be even less useful here than it was at the old site. Can you make any adjustments to it ?
The search function is only as good as its index.. that being said, I am indexing all of the posts. It will run overnight.
Philly Mike Wrote:hey opus, hope this is a help.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/3815" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/3815</a><!-- m -->
spell checker Smile
I don't know if you found similar or not, i seem to be behind on topics here and all :roll:
Unfortunately that is for phpbb 2.0, we are using 3.0.

But I appreciate the heads up.
Opus Wrote:
Philly Mike Wrote:hey opus, hope this is a help.

spell checker Smile
Unfortunately that is for phpbb 2.0, we are using 3.0.

But I appreciate the heads up.

damnit, i thought i picked phpbb3 lol i guess i just am not observant today, sorry about that.

if i find one i will post it, I know some people who play around with phpbb they may know of one.
I found an updated version of what you posted that includes phpbb3, but on loading the database, it keeps giving me a duplicate entry error, but I can't trace down a duplicate.
are the sigs cut out on purpose?
Biff turned sigs off.

By the way.. for those of you browsing the site right now.. it is probably going to be EXTREMELY slow.

I am putting a huge amount of stress on the SQL server doing some indexing for the search function and other things.
Thanks for the work on the search index. Get it up and running and I owe you a beer
Wowie Groovie !
Titan! Wrote:Thanks for the work on the search index. Get it up and running and I owe you a beer
I'm coordinating with the hosting company on when I can reindex it again.

They gave me the go ahead to start it after 11:00 PM tonight and said they won't suspend me this time for killing the server if it happens.
Rock Monster Wrote:I know someone is currently in the process of playing with this, but i liked the old, more subtle, "online" banner for users that are online. If I want to know if someone is online, I can look over there. I don't need a flashing beacon telling me they are on. (constructive criticism) Big Grin

I have changed the online notifier from an image to a piece of text.
the online text is beautiful...much better imo
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"