Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
your drink of choice ? ? ?
a beer I just discovered is new holland brewing co's Poet. It's an oatmeal stout, and it's phenominal.
In the voice of Homer Simpson

- MMMmmm Oatmeal Stout....Ahhhgurglehhhhh
Poet's not bad. I also like Bell's Porter. I tried the Young's and found it to have a bit of a burnt taste to me.

There's a store locally that sells a lot of the "snotty" singles so I like to partake in a mixed six pack from time to time. I think they sell a lot of singles at World Market too, but I don't get there very often.

I should add Boddington's Pub Ale to my list as well.
“I wanna tell Y’all that I ain’t votin for nobody that don’t say freedom enough. Freedom ain’t free, Free Beer. We gotta fight for freedom, Hot wings. Zane you gotta eat freedom fries...Freedom, freedom, freedom, freedom..FREEDOM!"
I love getting the mix and match six packs.

I went to World Market for the first time the other day. Cool Place. Decent-ish eclectic beer selection. I was surprised to find the mini-kegs of Paulaner there. That was cool.
There is a beer store in Lowell that has the largest wine selection in Michigan and the second largest beer selections in Michigan. They give a discount for mix n match six packs. It's called Pauly's if you were wondering.
The one I usually go to is called D. Shuler's in Grandville. I don't make it to the Lowell area very often.
“I wanna tell Y’all that I ain’t votin for nobody that don’t say freedom enough. Freedom ain’t free, Free Beer. We gotta fight for freedom, Hot wings. Zane you gotta eat freedom fries...Freedom, freedom, freedom, freedom..FREEDOM!"
landmammaldolphin Wrote:The one I usually go to is called D. Shuler's in Grandville.

I used to live || that far away from Schulers, in Ramblewood. There was a well worn path through the smidgen of woods between my apartment, Schulers, Frankie's Pizza, and back. There's probably still a yellow stain on some of the trunks of the trees.
fetusfacedwindbag Wrote:
landmammaldolphin Wrote:1) Milk Chocolate Stout from Grand Rapids Brewing Company

You should try Young's Double Chocolate Stout if you like that. But DON'T get a can. It's only good on draught or in a bottle.

Is the Milk Chocolate Stout from GRBC new? I've never seen it on the menu there, but then again it's been more than 6 months since i've been there.

I've only had Young's DCS in cans, does anyone in the GR area have it on tap ?
Wowie Groovie !
Titan ! Wrote:
fetusfacedwindbag Wrote:You should try Young's Double Chocolate Stout if you like that. But DON'T get a can. It's only good on draught or in a bottle.

Is the Milk Chocolate Stout from GRBC new? I've never seen it on the menu there, but then again it's been more than 6 months since i've been there.

Wouldn't know...Flying Saucer in Nashville has it on tap. They have LOTS on tap....it's quite a spectacular place.
Whoever brought up Boddington's a few posts back, good call. That's some good stuff.

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't really care for New Holland products. I just find they have this funny aftertaste.
Didn't you say the same thing about Orlando?
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
Boddingtons is good stuff. When I was on my honeymoon in England MANY years ago, I got hooked on the stuff in the pubs.
I'm so goth, I shit bats.
Titan ! Wrote:
fetusfacedwindbag Wrote:You should try Young's Double Chocolate Stout if you like that. But DON'T get a can. It's only good on draught or in a bottle.

It's one of their seasonal brews. They had it 2 years ago but I was laid up with back surgery last year and didn't get over to see if they brewed it again. I also have to ask if they are going to brew it again this winter.

I floated down the Thronapple River drinking Boddington's and pissing on myself this summer....great times I tell ya!
Dr. Stupid Wrote:There is a beer store in Lowell that has the largest wine selection in Michigan and the second largest beer selections in Michigan. They give a discount for mix n match six packs. It's called Pauly's if you were wondering.

Where have you heard that Pauly's has the largest wine selection in Michigan? I highly doubt this, unless you are talking special order also. Speaking strictly on the shelf inventory, Meijer has a bigger selection. (Especially the Cascade Meijer)

That being said, if you go in there and ask for something special, they will get it for you, and usually start stocking it. All of them are VERY knowledgeable about their products as well.
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
They just expanded. Check it out.
I do need some Jager before the Halloween party coming up....
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
Rocky's right on about the Cascade Meijer, their beer and wine and selection is huge, and they've got a more than fair liquor selection as well.
Wowie Groovie !
Within a month my wife and I will be moving to the 'burbs, west of town. Anybody have any good liquor/beer stores in the Jenison/Grandville area?
potthole Wrote:Within a month my wife and I will be moving to the 'burbs, west of town. Anybody have any good liquor/beer stores in the Jenison/Grandville area?

You are joking right? You now will live in Ottawa county. Be lucky you can even get bud light.
potthole Wrote:Within a month my wife and I will be moving to the 'burbs, west of town. Anybody have any good liquor/beer stores in the Jenison/Grandville area?

Welcome to the neighborhood. I work in that area.

People here have said the World Market by Lowes (Rivertown and Canal) has a good selection of beer and wine. And there is a party store at Ramblewood that may have a selection of alcohol.

I've never been to either place, so don't blame me.
World market has a pretty good beer and wine selection, and they're happy to let youmix and match 6 packs, and every time I've been in, they have some kind of special going, definetly worth a stop
Wowie Groovie !
The place by Ramblewood is called D. Shuler's and they have a great selection of beer and wine. You can even get a 40 of Old English if you're desperate.

They aren't in Ottawa county though, still in Kent and technically (I believe) in the city of Wyoming so they don't have the Sunday ban on beer and wine, only liquor. You can check them out here: http://dschulers.com/index.htm
FUSTERCLUCK Wrote:

You are joking right? You now will live in Ottawa county. Be lucky you can even get bud light.

The Hudsonville Family Fare is selling liquor now! :-X
airhornahole Wrote:

Welcome to the neighborhood. I work in that area.

People here have said the World Market by Lowes (Rivertown and Canal) has a good selection of beer and wine. And there is a party store at Ramblewood that may have a selection of alcohol.

I've never been to either place, so don't blame me.

World Market has a pretty good selection. They've got some stuff that you can't find at the local grocery store, but their selection isn't as expanded as my local "neighborhood" liqour store. Another strike against them is that they don't have any cold beer on hand.

landmammaldolphin Wrote:The place by Ramblewood is called D. Shuler's and they have a great selection of beer and wine. You can even get a 40 of Old English if you're desperate.

They aren't in Ottawa county though, still in Kent and technically (I believe) in the city of Wyoming so they don't have the Sunday ban on beer and wine, only liquor. You can check them out here: http://dschulers.com/index.htm

Oh yes, I think I know that place. Haven't ever been, but have driven through that area a lot. I'll be keeping them in mind.

Fistor Wrote:
FUSTERCLUCK Wrote:You are joking right? You now will live in Ottawa county. Be lucky you can even get bud light.

The Hudsonville Family Fare is selling liquor now! :-X

I was wondering if they were selling yet. If their selection is anything like the Family Fare I live near now, it's not horrible, but they are lacking a couple of my favorites.
potthole Wrote:I was wondering if they were selling yet. If their selection is anything like the Family Fare I live near now, it's not horrible, but they are lacking a couple of my favorites.

Dey got da king of beers! Good enough for this non-picky emmer effer!
Well, I guess I won't be inviting you over to the new home... we are strictly AB-products free.
potthole Wrote:Well, I guess I won't be inviting you over to the new home... we are strictly AB-products free.

just plain un-American....

-disclaimer: up until a couple of months ago.....
Oh, I buy American. If I'm going for "cheap" beer, though, I prefer Miller products.
I agree with the Miller products...Coors Light is a great beer!
Anyone ever have a Vanilla Porter? If so would you recommend?
landmammaldolphin Wrote:I agree with the Miller products...Coors Light is a great beer!

I don't think they make Coors products, only market them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller_Brew...ng_Company
Potthole is such a beer snob.
FUSTERCLUCK Wrote:Potthole is such a beer snob.

I think I'm slowly becoming one. I do enjoy the swill every once in awhile, as proved when I ordered a PBR at Hopcat, but I really do enjoy trying a bunch of the good, expensive beers too.
...Another strike against them is that they don't have any cold beer on hand.

We must be talking about 2 different places ?
Wowie Groovie !
Titan ! Wrote:...Another strike against them is that they don't have any cold beer on hand.

World Market, on 28th, sort of across the street from Woodland Mall, right? I don't remember them having any cold beer that was for sale.
potthole Wrote:
Titan ! Wrote:...Another strike against them is that they don't have any cold beer on hand.

World Market, on 28th, sort of across the street from Woodland Mall, right? I don't remember them having any cold beer that was for sale.

Yeah I totally have the wrong place...
Wowie Groovie !
Well I partook (is that a word?) in a sixer of Sam Adam's Cream Stout a couple of weekends ago and I have to say it was pretty tasty! I also bought a growler of "The Poet" from New Holland Brewing Company over this last weekend and I liked it but wouldn't say it was fantastic. Of course I bought the growler on Friday and didn't drink it until Sunday but it still should have been pretty fresh.

We also went to a place in Kalamazoo called Olde Peninsula and I had their Midnight Stout. It was OK but nothing to write home about. I tried their Hefeweizen knockoff and it was awful. They darkened it quite a bit with what tasted like caramal and it just didn't compliment it very well.

Anyone try anything new lately?
LOVE the Sam Adams Cream Stout. It's my second favorite, behind Black Lager.

I recently picked up a sixer of Bell's Porter. First time I had it. Fantastic. It's just one more reason why Bell's is probably my favorite Michigan microbrew.
I'll second that! Grabbed a sixer of the Bell's Porter a few weekends ago. I almost had my friends convinced to head over there last Saturday night but it was getting late and we all have kids and...well we're old ok. Wink

Have you been to Grand Rapids Brewing Company and had their Lumberman's Dark? That's one of my favorite porter's. Also I highly recommend Fuller's London Porter if you haven't had it before. The only place I have found it is D. Shuler's but it is tasty!
I'm trying to think of the stuff I had when I went to GR Brewing this summer... let me pull up their website. After taking a quick look, I think I've had the River City Red and Pale Ale. Both were pretty good, from what I remember.