Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New site up... and waayyyy broken
well I am not claiming to start a war or anything, but just saying that taking over something that is already here and everyone is settled in at would be kind of the opposite of what you would expect from them. i am assuming that it all will be fixed. hell the pics section still says you have to pay.
It matters not how straight the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.
[spoiler]Shit, you took away the black bar. Put it the fuck back now![/spoiler]
If Free Beer has said everything that used to be free on the old site will still be free on the new site then I take him at his word and am very happy.

But I'm also with everyone who is still questioning the new messageboard. I'm holding out hope that's a mistake and is just another thing that was initially accidentally linked as a VIP feature. It's not just a bad, alienating idea if it is a new board they started. I'm guessing that a lot of the active members here are hardcore fans who podcast anyway. Everyone would probably just stay here if given a choice.

Right now I'm assuming it is an error of the site since FB did just post. I figure that if they were getting a fancy new board that you have to pay for they'd have all stopped posting here by now.
I am the irrepressible dark horse.
Film it. Listen to it. Live it. Love it.

All the best,
The Mayor of Awesometown
Yeah, a message board that only allows people in who have paid for the podcast. That'll work. If somebody starts a thread today, they may have 5 responses by Labor Day.

I wonder if they've soured on this board...
Dear Free Beer, Hot Wings, Zane and Joe,

First off, I want to make it clear that I'm not looking to start an argument about message boards, nor do I have hurt feelings. Getting upset and starting arguments about things on the internet is generally pretty stupid. Getting upset and starting arguments about message boards on the internet is ALWAYS pretty stupid.

That being said, I, along with others, am very curious to know why the fbhwforum.com message board has apparently lost favor suddenly with the show. Sure, your new website is a cookie-cutter replica of the website that Dennis Miller uses for his radio show, and I'm sure his cookie-cutter website has it's own message board, but you guys aren't Dennis Miller. Sure, Dennis Miller is often times funny, and even got to be on Monday Night Football-- but again, you guys aren't Dennis Miller.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that you guys decided to put up this new message board because one of you new guys told you that you should. Sure, that new Ivy League syndicator and that new Middle Eastern techie might both seem pretty cool, and overall might give good advice- but here's the thing. They work for YOU. They should be doing what you TELL them, and not vice-versa.

Sure, the crowd here at the fbhwforum.com message boards can get a little critical, but most of the time it is done to be constructive. Those who post absurd things are in the minority, and besides, when they do happen to post silly and trite remarks, they are generally piled on very quickly. Here's the thing-- people on your new board are going to eventually get critical too. And if they don't, it'll probably be because the people running your new board don't let them. And that's not you guys. Time and time again you have mentioned on the air that you welcome constructive criticism. Sure, you won't always agree with it, but you guys have always invited people to offer it up.

In the end, you guys will do what you want to do. I just felt the need to get my thoughts out there, though. There's enough room in this world for two FBHW message boards, and things will keep on keeping on over here. I just hope, however, that a blind eye doesn't get turned to all of the hard work that went into making fbhwforum.com a fun place for fans of your radio show to interact.
potthole Wrote:Dear Free Beer, Hot Wings, Zane and Joe,

First off, I want to make it clear that I'm not looking to start an argument about message boards, nor do I have hurt feelings. Getting upset and starting arguments about things on the internet is generally pretty stupid. Getting upset and starting arguments about message boards on the internet is ALWAYS pretty stupid.

That being said, I, along with others, am very curious to know why the fbhwforum.com message board has apparently lost favor suddenly with the show. Sure, your new website is a cookie-cutter replica of the website that Dennis Miller uses for his radio show, and I'm sure his cookie-cutter website has it's own message board, but you guys aren't Dennis Miller. Sure, Dennis Miller is often times funny, and even got to be on Monday Night Football-- but again, you guys aren't Dennis Miller.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that you guys decided to put up this new message board because one of you new guys told you that you should. Sure, that new Ivy League syndicator and that new Middle Eastern techie might both seem pretty cool, and overall might give good advice- but here's the thing. They work for YOU. They should be doing what you TELL them, and not vice-versa.

Sure, the crowd here at the fbhwforum.com message boards can get a little critical, but most of the time it is done to be constructive. Those who post absurd things are in the minority, and besides, when they do happen to post silly and trite remarks, they are generally piled on very quickly. Here's the thing-- people on your new board are going to eventually get critical too. And if they don't, it'll probably be because the people running your new board don't let them. And that's not you guys. Time and time again you have mentioned on the air that you welcome constructive criticism. Sure, you won't always agree with it, but you guys have always invited people to offer it up.

In the end, you guys will do what you want to do. I just felt the need to get my thoughts out there, though. There's enough room in this world for two FBHW message boards, and things will keep on keeping on over here. I just hope, however, that a blind eye doesn't get turned to all of the hard work that went into making fbhwforum.com a fun place for fans of your radio show to interact.

This doesn't happen very often but. . . :clap: :clap: :clap:
"I'm glad to see those 'Worthless Whore' lessons turned out well for you."
krys Wrote:
potthole Wrote:Dear Free Beer, Hot Wings, Zane and Joe,

This doesn't happen very often but. . . :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hell yea I second that! New pay message board = :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
"What you are about to see is top secret. Do not tell my mother."
Let me agree with what Potthole said except the part where he said:

Potthole said: There's enough room in this world for two FBHW message boards

Sorry Potty, (you know I respect you) but you're wrong here. The FBHW Morning show is awesome, quite simply the best morning radio that I've ever heard. However it is NOT big enough to support 2 fan forums/message boards. IF FBHW decide that they want to host their own message board/forum this is what will happen:

The fans of FBHW will splinter. Those of us who came to fbhwforum.com will be burned and probably leave the show, stop posting online, and possibly stop listening altogether. Those who don't leave will probably go have sex with their sisters and eat boogernails and fingers.

There was a time when the official <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.freebeerandhotwings.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.freebeerandhotwings.com</a><!-- w --> linked the "message board" right back here to us.

Seriously guys do you really want to alienate your hardocore fans ?

We love you.

We love you more than anyone else.

Please don't piss on us.
Wowie Groovie !
so I finally found the "old" forum here to post on. I could not remember the web address since it was just linked with the old site. thanks for the help queenie! :thumbup: But what in the world are they doing with it...? Just seems really weird to me that they dont have this one on their anymore...I really want to know if the recent postings to the guys are just made up.... seems like it to me
pants on the ground! pants on the ground!
Adding my .02 . . .

I have been to the new board 3 times. It is simply no where near the level of our current board, nor do I see it ever being that way. It is not user friendly at all, nor understandable IMO. I thought when they got the new site up, there was going to be some sort of link to the current board (not just a simple link, but logging in there would have you logged in here), if not moved entirely to the new site. I understand it would have been a complex task to do so, but to start an entirely new board wasn't the best thing to do, again IMHO. If they really wanted to make some money, they would have done that. I love the show and the new web site is cool, but I don't see it "taking off" as somebody (not pointing fingers, just whoever made that decision) may have thought. Also, it almost seems like a slap in the face to this message board. I think we have had a positive effect on the show. Not that everybody that listens is a member of this board, but we sure vocalize the show to people unknown to it by promoting the fun of the forum. I became a VIP of the new site, not to be a member of the new forum, but just because I needed a new podcast. I would close by saying, the other aspects of being a VIP attracted me more than to be a member of the new forum. To me, those other "perks" are well worth being a VIP, and I don't think the forum was necessary.
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
Queenie, I agree it does seem a bit like a slap in the face...it will pretty tough to get new people to join this board now that it is not affiliated with the new site
plumpenut Wrote:Queenie, I agree it does seem a bit like a slap in the face...it will pretty tough to get new people to join this board now that it is not affiliated with the new site
[rant]of all of it, if they do this type of message board and actually wish to keep with it, it is a huge slap in the face to me and people like me. I can't really just spend 30 bucks to become part of this exclusive club. There are more things i need to worry about. I personally don't like the need to pay for podcasts, but that is their choice, but making a message board exclusive would be excluding a lot of people out there who enjoy the whole idea of a message board but really dont have the luxury of speding that little extra to become a "vip". I was never much for this "exclusive" crap to begin with. I understand the show is growing, and while not really rivaling bob and tom in the affiliate area yet they are pretty much climbing those ranks in that area. I have not seen the success of gaining affiliates go to their heads either, and would like to see it stay that way. There are some things that i would never like to see. Especially the whole blocking affiliate online streams to make people actually pay if they wish to listen online, and things of that nature. Bottom line is these guys have well deserved success, and regardless weather or not half or even all of us on here stop listening to the show they will still have a huge following and great ratings, so we are just probably a drop in the bucket of that. However paying for some things that used to be free would be like a good friend betraying your trust. That is why when the glitches of the new site were noticed it caused such a rumbling because people felt that if it was true they were starting to get a little too cocky. well at least that's how i see it.[/rant]
I think two things are pretty clear right now:

1) They are going to keep that other message board. Them just removing it seems like a longshot and unlikely.

2) There really aren't enough people posting currently to make 2 active, interesting message boards feasible.

So what's going to likely happen is the people who have become accustomed to this board are going to stay here, and anybody who wants to start posting on a message board about the show is going to go to the new board since this one isn't linked on their new page.

What people here will do as a result of the feeling of being spurned...no clue.
I think that those who are fairly active here are going to remain so. They've got a background here, they've got friends on here, so there's no huge reason for them to jump ship.

New membership might slow down, but we'll still got people coming here. I think the fees associated with the FBHW VIP membership might turn some people away, who will likewise come join up here.

I think I can safely say this for Biff, as well as the rest of us mods, but please don't go over to the new board looking to cause trouble. That looks bad on our part.
I'm not going anywhere. Maybe that will make me "King of the Board" Confusedhock:
"Sir, You need to get out of your car, there is a train comming."
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
potthole Wrote:I think that those who are fairly active here are going to remain so. They've got a background here, they've got friends on here, so there's no huge reason for them to jump ship.

New membership might slow down, but we'll still got people coming here. I think the fees associated with the FBHW VIP membership might turn some people away, who will likewise come join up here.

I think I can safely say this for Biff, as well as the rest of us mods, but please don't go over to the new board looking to cause trouble. That looks bad on our part.

People turned off by the VIP membership won't join any board, because they will have no way of knowing about this board.

Anyhow the idea of having to pay to use a message board is pretty ridiculous, even though the reason a person would become a VIP would likely have nothing to do with it. Still, why limit people discussing your show to the subset of the listeners who pay? I don't see the logic.

(Edit: I don't think anybody takes this seriously enough to actually go to start trouble on another message board. If nothing else, this is kind of an interesting situation because I'm not really sure if them keeping that new message board and not mentioning this one is really a concious slap in the face to this board of if it is just coincidental with no harm intended.)
I don't podcast and I sure as hell am not paying 30 bucks just to read a message board.
Let me preface this by saying this is my viewpoint, it does not reflect those of any other mod/admin on this site. Read my words knowing that and that it is merely an opinion and as such it is not fact, nor should it be construed as gospel.

The way I see it, having more than one board can actually be a positive thing. It gives the listeners choices. This board and the way it is moderated is not everyones cup of tea.

Based on my previous experiences with other popular message boards, there are 2 types of users:

User Style A) This user is all for freedom of speach, has a thick skin, can take it as well as he/she can dish it, and does not need a baby sitter to help him/her along. This user is typically a message board veteran, participates in multiple message boards, knows how to use the various software suites, and generally enjoys bullshitting and wasting time on the board.

User Style B) This user may or may not be a veteran of boards. He/She may be new to message boards, or new to a particular software. He/She generally out to enjoy the board by partaking in the on topic discussions, but generally does not participate in the off topic discussions. Their intent is solely to discuss the topic at hand and verbal bashings, trolling, or flaming are unacceptable to this user and this user welcomes the moderators being there to help remove posts/users that do not stay on the topic.

Now as far as the boards themselves go, this board caters more to the User Style A category. Typically boards that are on the official websites of the topic they are related to, cater more to the User Style B demographic.

By having both boards available, the user can choose which board best suits his/her needs. Of course there will be some cross posting between users who contribute to both, but the user bases typically will be segregated, at least after the initial interest dies.

I am also of the mindset of the wait and see approach before jumping on the bandwagon of "this sucks and it is not in the best interest of X" bandwagon. Lets see how things play out and we can always adapt if necessary.
What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad.
problem is, if they push the other message board and don't mention this one there will more than likely be next to no people joining here and just the same people will be talking with each other.

Personally I usually don't mind change, especially considering how messed up the previous site was. However compared to it, I prefer things the way they were, all of this premium pay crap is annoying. I can understand the point of charging for a podcast, and archived segments, but when it comes to message boards, chat, and other ways of community for a radio show online it should be free.
This board is different because it is not run by the show itself. So asking for donations or some sort of help could be understood, i have seen the paypal donate button at the bottom of forums before. Like i said before, I am still hoping the whole message board thing is a mistake that just needs to get fixed, and the link would lead here.
i want to go to there and be nice.

bizarro becky.

just wondering, how many people are on that new board? seems like most of the people who listen and wanted to be a part of a messageboard would already be here since we were on the old homepage since....August? i do wish they would explain things on here before they ditch us.
Hey guys,

I'm not sure that I've ever heard where a pay-to-play forum site and a free forum site are good things. If it is a good thing.. Why did Free beer pointedly not address it? Why are they continuing not to address it? They are on the air right now..but we're more important..right? :think:

Anyway, just some interesting thoughts.

Losoyo
I do wonder why they have not addressed this on the show yet....
Wowie Groovie !
nodak1979 Wrote:People turned off by the VIP membership won't join any board, because they will have no way of knowing about this board.

Erm...

You do realize that this board will show up on a simple Google search, right?
potthole Wrote:
nodak1979 Wrote:People turned off by the VIP membership won't join any board, because they will have no way of knowing about this board.

Erm...

while this may be true, the problem lies withing the fact that a search needs to be made. why would someone search for a board if the only one they can see a reason to belonging to is right in front of them?
Greetings boarders!

I must say, I'm a little surprised by the reaction. I wouldn't expect so many people to immediately jump to the worst conclusions possible. Its okay, I probably do it too. For the record, I replied to Potthole yesterday, so it was not ignored when he emailed.

First, as I've mentioned, all the content and more that was free on the old site is also free on the new site. I can certainly understand why people thought it was weird when the Joe stunts appeared to be VIP only.

You'll note the VIP membership is the same cost as a podcast, thus all the other stuff could be looked at as bonus material for existing podcasters. We'll be adding more content all the time that is VIP specific. But the stuff we talk about on the air, the links, the videos and such will all be available. In fact, more of the stuff we talk about will be available as we'll be linking more of the articles we use at the beginning of breaks.

As for the message board and why we have one: It is often a way to drive traffic to a website as you all know. Ultimately, that is one of the goals of having a website. It is not set up to compete with this one, though inherently, on some level it will. I doubt seriously it will somehow destroy this one, as the community is obviously pretty strong on the board, with or without us.

I hope that helps.
freebeer Wrote:Greetings boarders!

I must say, I'm a little surprised by the reaction. I wouldn't expect so many people to immediately jump to the worst conclusions possible. Its okay, I probably do it too. For the record, I replied to Potthole yesterday, so it was not ignored when he emailed.

First, as I've mentioned, all the content and more that was free on the old site is also free on the new site. I can certainly understand why people thought it was weird when the Joe stunts appeared to be VIP only.

You'll note the VIP membership is the same cost as a podcast, thus all the other stuff could be looked at as bonus material for existing podcasters. We'll be adding more content all the time that is VIP specific. But the stuff we talk about on the air, the links, the videos and such will all be available. In fact, more of the stuff we talk about will be available as we'll be linking more of the articles we use at the beginning of breaks.

As for the message board and why we have one: It is often a way to drive traffic to a website as you all know. Ultimately, that is one of the goals of having a website. It is not set up to compete with this one, though inherently, on some level it will. I doubt seriously it will somehow destroy this one, as the community is obviously pretty strong on the board, with or without us.

I hope that helps.

So I think there are 2 questions still outstanding as far as I'm concerned...

1) Will this board ever be mentioned on your new website?

2) Why would a message board be part of VIP only?? I can understand the archives being VIP and certainly the podcast...but a message board?
Philly Mike Wrote:
potthole Wrote:

Erm...

while this may be true, the problem lies withing the fact that a search needs to be made. why would someone search for a board if the only one they can see a reason to belonging to is right in front of them?

Exactly. If somebody goes to the FBHW site and sees they have to pay to use a message board to talk with other listeners, their instinct probably isn't going to be to Google and see if there's another. That's why an outstanding question is, will this board ever be linked to their new site?? The answer is probably no, but we shall see.
Greg, with all due respect....

Quote:I must say, I'm a little surprised by the reaction. I wouldn't expect so many people to immediately jump to the worst conclusions possible.

Surprised? I don't read every post every day nor am I able to listen to every minute of the show every day, but I sure don't recall ever reading or hearing that the new site would have its own message board. I believe that is the reaction you are seeing from posters here. It appears to me that almost everyone has been blindsided by this. I believe Biff put this board together for the show and the listeners. Since I haven't seen him say anything on this issue, was he even forewarned that this was going to happen? If the current board was to be included with the new site, then great! But if it wasn't, I believe Biff at least deserved the courtesy of being notified ahead of time. I can't seem to tell whether this is a slap in the face or a stab in the back.

If this board would have been included in with the new site, then I would have seriously considered shelling out the thirty bucks for the VIP stuff. But the way this has been handled, as I stated in an earlier post, I don't podcast so you won't be getting any cash from me just to read your message board.

Quote:As for the message board and why we have one: It is often a way to drive traffic to a website as you all know.

I will admit that I have only been on the internet tubes since '96, but this is completely new news to me. Most all of the sites I have been to that have message boards use them for "support" for their webpage and/or product, ie. a sports team or even a radio morning show. I have never seen a message board used to drive traffic to a website. Usually these type of message boards are on websites so users can help one another out answering questions and/or finding information for one another, or just chit chatting and it is all done for FREE!
nodak1979 Wrote:
Philly Mike Wrote:
potthole Wrote:

Erm...

Exactly. If somebody goes to the FBHW site and sees they have to pay to use a message board to talk with other listeners, their instinct probably isn't going to be to Google and see if there's another.

Not true, I think you're underestimating people. Yes, the casual fan might not bother with checking for other boards out there, but those who are more than casual probably will be willing and able to put a little "effort" into it, especially if they don't care for the VIP forum.

For example: A few years ago I was looking for a Detroit Tigers message board. My first thought was to go straight to the source, so-to-speak, and I headed to the official team website. I found their message board, took one look, saw it was crap, then headed straight to Google. Did a search for Detroit Tigers message boards, and started checking the first few out. Nearly five years later, I'm still posting at the same board I found that day.
freebeer Wrote:As for the message board and why we have one: It is often a way to drive traffic to a website as you all know. Ultimately, that is one of the goals of having a website. It is not set up to compete with this one, though inherently, on some level it will. I doubt seriously it will somehow destroy this one, as the community is obviously pretty strong on the board, with or without us.

I hope that helps.
Well at least it is cleared up. Now it is kind of blah to me to add such a thing when people have to pay nonetheless. I think even though you guys have this board set up, since it is made as a pay to use thing this board should also be mentioned as the casual board, or independantly run board, and the other be mentioned as the official one. There will be a difference between the 2, and a lot of people that are here and have the VIP will use both, but part of the good of this board is the fact that it is available to the non VIPs and the interaction when you guys do speak here. That is assuming you guys would still participate here.

Now don't get me wrong though, I love the show and have been a loyal listener for a very long time. Now I may end up getting VIP access sooner or later anyway because I have wanted to get the podcast for a long time and hopefully will get one soon, especially with the archived show things there now. I may just go for the $3 a month which ends up costing more but is easy to do instead of paying all at once. To tell the truth I thought the only option there was the $30 one, i never really noticed the $3 one there, I may have done so long ago had I known about it.

Shit, weather anyone agrees with it or not you guys are the ones running things and it is your call to do what you want about it. I can disagree on the point of the message board all I want, and others can bitch all they want about anything else, bottom line is it's your show. Now I think you guys should still be part of this board too because it is a good place for feedback, especially from those who don't want to invest in the whole VIP thing but are pretty regular listeners.

by the way, of the changes, I do like the idea of live chat for VIPs, that is a nice touch.
I have to agree with potthole, any semi intelligent FBHW's listener can easily find this board.

But as to Free Beer's point I don't believe for a second that anyone will go "Ohh look a message board I can pay $30 to use! Sweet I need to sign up right away!" That seems like the dumbest idea I have ever heard...as a matter of fact I bet site traffic actually goes down now because people like me don't access the site everyday because we were too lazy to bookmark the message board. Now that it isn't linked I have finally bookmarked it like I should have before.

I bet a lot more people used to do the same thing as me, but now my reason to go to the FBHW's site has been cut in half due to the cookie cutter bad design/dennis miller ripoff and lack of a free message board link. Let me guess Free Beer the same uncreative crackhead webdesigner who made your site told you it would increase traffic and you are taking advice from a guy who can't even design more than one actual site, but just copies the same one over and over again.
"What you are about to see is top secret. Do not tell my mother."
We could have embedded this board into the new FBHW website and saved a whole lot of trouble. Two birds with one stone so to say.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
admin Wrote:We could have embedded this board into the new FBHW website and saved a whole lot of trouble. Two birds with one stone so to say.

coulda woulda shoulda
What? I didn't do it.
admin Wrote:We could have embedded this board into the new FBHW website and saved a whole lot of trouble. Two birds with one stone so to say.

Kiiind of what I was thinking all along, but I didn't want to whine. I'm just going to zip it.
That's what she said.
Every time I lose the internet for 1-2 weeks a new message board is created. I must never lose internet again!
Humans are not rational beings, they are rationalizing
Practice safe sex, do it in a Volvo ___________ "Shut up", he explained.
I think it is still possible to embed, they should do so. This way every time someone travels through the board it brings up adverts and advert impressions.
beckyp Wrote:i want to go to there and be nice.

bizarro becky.

wait is that possible? Big Grin
I could be not pink and hopefully not percieved as gay!
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
I could stop being so awesome.

Wait, no I can't.
I'm.......kind of a big deal. People know me.
I think I will start my own Free Beer and Hotwings site. I will only charge $15/yr.
It will be a better value than the official one, and since its not free, people will know its not crap!
Hurley Wrote:I think I will start my own Free Beer and Hotwings site. I will only charge $15/yr.
It will be a better value than the official one, and since its not free, people will know its not crap!

[Image: stupidsiren.gif]
"Sir, You need to get out of your car, there is a train comming."
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"