Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zeeland, Hudsonville
scooterfanatic Wrote:
kaboobie92 Wrote:I don't think its right that they yell at people or shun them. However, you have to respect their opinions. That dosen't mean listen to them yell at you because its not their place to judge people. I am a Christian, and in the Bible it says to rest on the sabbath (sunday) i.e. not do any work. So our family won't mow or do "work", we will wash our cars and stuff tho

The Bible also tells parents to stone rebellious children to death and demands ritual animal sacrifice. Women undergoing their period are "unclean" and must ritually bathe. It says that bats are birds, rabbits chew cud, and snakes eat dust. Also it says that it is a sin to wear a garment with more than one kind of thread, to shave, and to eat shellfish.

But I'm guessing you don't follow THOSE parts of the Bible, do you? ;D ;D ;D

In fairness, that's also a pick and choose method as you are loosely using the old testament.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
Admin Wrote:
scooterfanatic Wrote:The Bible also tells parents to stone rebellious children to death and demands ritual animal sacrifice. Women undergoing their period are "unclean" and must ritually bathe. It says that bats are birds, rabbits chew cud, and snakes eat dust. Also it says that it is a sin to wear a garment with more than one kind of thread, to shave, and to eat shellfish.

But I'm guessing you don't follow THOSE parts of the Bible, do you? ;D ;D ;D

In fairness, that's also a pick and choose method as you are loosely using the old testament.

I think all religion is pick and choose.
Wow. I'm not trying to step into a religious debate, but I have a story that relates to the original topic.

I'm in a local band (not hard rock, but still loud at times) and last spring we somehow booked a gig at a charity benefit in Zeeland. Outdoors. On a Sunday. We didn't get sucked into hell, but we did chase away all the old people that were at the park. Our singer's dad still brags about that show.
I used to work at a store in the Rivertown mall in Grandville, and we'd have people complain if we had rock music playing on Sunday. One manager would turn the store's sound system to a reggae station on Sundays, just to piss people off.
If you really want to piss off the almighty in Hudsonville/Zeeland sign the petition to get Sunday beer and liquor sales on the ballot in November. Ottawa county is the only county in MI where you can't buy on Sunday. I need to find a blank petition and go knocking on doors this Sunday.
That's not entirely true. Zeeland has Sunday beer sales.
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
I thought Ottawa County only bans liquor sales on Sunday, beer, so long as there are no city laws against it, is ok after 12 noon. Or, is that Kent County? I always get confused.
potthole Wrote:I thought Ottawa County only bans liquor sales on Sunday, beer, so long as there are no city laws against it, is ok after 12 noon. Or, is that Kent County? I always get confused.
As of right now Ottawa county has the most ass backward booze policy in all the land. It would be easier to get a cold one at the Vatican on a Sunday than it would in Ottawa County. Anyway here is what I know. On Sundays you may not purchase any kind of consumable alcohol (including cooking wine) in a retail outlet in Ottawa county or the City of Holland which some of is in Allegan county. Party stores, grocery stores, etc. can not sell you a six pack, a bottle of wine, or any spirits. However, you can go to your neighborhood restaurant on Sunday and order a rum and Coke, but not beer or wine.
Now Zeeland and Hudsonville are in class all their own. Until recently you couldn't buy any booze in the City of Zeeland or Zeeland Township. Now their is one restuarant that I know of that serves by the glass in the City. The Township is still dry. I think Hudsonville has just approved sales on Monday - Saturday. I live in Holland and it sucks having to drive to Saugatuck to buy beer on Sunday, which I did last week.
don't let Mr. Vanderosterdykema hear about you mowing your lawn on a Sunday. You have to seriously question a town that has more churches than bars....
I'm so goth, I shit bats.
madcap95 Wrote:I bought a house in Holland about 5 yrs ago and live near a church (big surprise) and folks from that church park on my street for services. I can actually 1st hand state that I had someone walk up to me at 12:30pm on a sunday, stand on the sidewalk until I stopped mowing & turned off the mower to tell me that what I was doing was a sin and that they were going to pray for me. In hindsight, I would have loved to gone off on the guy, but a) he had two kids in tow with him and b) honestly I was completely shocked that this happened. I had thought it was some kind of dutch urban legend.

1. I am dutch and that offends me ! 2. The last time someone commented about mowing on Sunday I cut the muffler of the mower and mowed twice the next Sunday.
and I'm not offended the old school dutch people are retarded
lol . . .
I lived in Allendale my whole life (norhern reaches of Hudsonville, lol)
I moved to Pella, Iowa last winter. It's just like Hudsonville, except there are a few bars and you can buy alcohol.

You can't mow your lawn though . . . everyone thought I was the devil for working on my truck on a Sunday, (well, every Sunday)

But I actually think it's more Dutch Christian Reformed here than Hudsonville . . .
I came here for work, but when I tell everyone where I came from, they think I'm here because I had some weird Church connection to the town. I think I heard that there are 26 churches in this town. A town of 9000 people, in the middle of nowhere.

Friggin' Dutch, lol

VanDerDeKlokkenTerOstenMaDyks are all around.

It honestly feels like I moved into Hudsonville around here.
It's the same here in Grandville. People are stupid.