Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
133t cyclist douchebags on the highway
Allyson Wrote:Now I enjoy riding my bike for exercise. Buuut I have the foresight not to do it on a busy street with traffic and intersections. I'll do it on a back road or at the park or a similar place so as not to put myself in danger. I'm not saying that he deserved to be hit by a car by any means but I am saying that the situation could have been avoided if he took similar precautions. Crucify me if you wish, but I think that roads would be easier and safer for everyone if they were "separate but equal" rather than "integrated" if you will.

edit: I think ProvidenceCrow can back me up when I say that riding your bike on Ocean Ave in the middle of summer in Seaside Heights is not the best of ideas.
Allyson, I certainly wasn't trying to crucify anyone with my previous post and am glad that you also are a bike rider. I also agree that people that do ride their bikes in high traffic areas should do so at their own risk. In the GR area anyone stupid enough to ride down 28th street on a bike is just asking to be run over. That being said I still think anyone who drives anything the size of a Yugo or bigger (myself included) needs to be on the lookout for smaller forms of transportation be it a scooter, bike, or motorcycle as they are getting more and more common as people try to save money on gas.
Ok now I'm thinking it might just be the a-holes in my area. On the way home from work today there was a guy riding on a road with a pretty narrow shoulder, but the road is wide and a straightaway so I had no beef at first. Until he swerved out into the middle of the street and almost fell off his bike about 50 feet in front of me. When I reached him I investigated the problem and oh! he was riding his bike with no hands! Maybe this show-off deserved to be hit. Gently.
That's what she said.
Riders who don't use common sense about when, where and how they ride their bike can be considered jerks. However there are plenty of riders who do their best to ride sensibly and make sure they aren't putting themselves into situations that are unsafe. It's when those guys get thrown under the bus that I get frustrated.
Allyson Wrote:Ok now I'm thinking it might just be the a-holes in my area. On the way home from work today there was a guy riding on a road with a pretty narrow shoulder, but the road is wide and a straightaway so I had no beef at first. Until he swerved out into the middle of the street and almost fell off his bike about 50 feet in front of me. When I reached him I investigated the problem and oh! he was riding his bike with no hands! Maybe this show-off deserved to be hit. Gently.

Did he have an iPod? "I can ride my bike with no handle bars, no handle bars, no handle bars..."

Thanks for getting that stuck in my head.
speedbump Wrote:Did he have an iPod? "I can ride my bike with no handle bars, no handle bars, no handle bars..."

Thanks for getting that stuck in my head.

Haha that is exactly what happened to me yesterday! It's too bad the song wasn't playing at the time.
That's what she said.
Allyson Wrote:Ok now I'm thinking it might just be the a-holes in my area. On the way home from work today there was a guy riding on a road with a pretty narrow shoulder, but the road is wide and a straightaway so I had no beef at first. Until he swerved out into the middle of the street and almost fell off his bike about 50 feet in front of me. When I reached him I investigated the problem and oh! he was riding his bike with no hands! Maybe this show-off deserved to be hit. Gently.
Agreed! +1 for being a good samaritan. Who would have thought that bike riding would be a touchy subject?