Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Addiction is not a disease
What about sex as an addiction? There are some in the counseling world that think sex could be a root addiction that because of the shame and stigma involved leads some to self medicate with booze, and or drugs. David Duchovny recently admitted himself to a mental hospital for sex addiction. In a sex obsessed United States I think it may be a hugh problem.
"Sir, You need to get out of your car, there is a train comming."
"Why ummm... uhhh did you ummm... feel the need to errrrr, god why can't I type!!"
people w/ celiac disease!

I bet if they were starving to death they could eat wheat...just as much as the millions of humans did before them. Oh, woops, I forgot about the millions of ancient egyptians who carved on the pyramid walls..."stay away from wheat" the only nourishment they had back then.
I'll probably get railed for this but I do have extensive coursework in biology, physiology, pathology, biochemistry/molecular biology, etc so I'm not entirely talking out of my ass and this is all just my opinion.

Diseases are biological disturbances that impair normal function. They do not occur by choice (yes things we chose to do can affect their presence/severity but we don't consciously will them into existence). Addictions are by choice, no matter how predisposed (mentally/genetically) someone is, they do always have a choice to carry out the behavior, even in the very worst situation, the will power however weakened allows the option of not doing something. The exception to this is babies born to using mothers who are born chemically dependent-they obviously didn't have a choice and the detox is a terrible process to witness. I haven't found any studies as of yet discussing whether or not these children are more likely of having addictions/addictive personalities when grown so if anyone does please share it.

I guess my main problem with the whole "addiction is a disease" is that when you chose to use a harmful substance or activity you are doing it to change your situation in some way, to fill a need, to derive pleasure. Anyone capable of carrying out an addictive activity is also inherently able to realize there is an alternative route, however more difficult it may be. As others have said, calling addiction a disease is a way to remove responsibility from one's self. That doesn't fix anything.
Humans are not rational beings, they are rationalizing
Practice safe sex, do it in a Volvo ___________ "Shut up", he explained.