Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Books and junk
Fistor Wrote:
flyersfantn Wrote:I've been reading a hell of alot of stephen king lately, since reading the Dark Tower series last summer. Just finished "Insomnia" which was suprisingly good, and now I'm reading "The Shining" for the first time.

After that, I think I'll take a break from King and read Cormac McCarthy's "The Road"

The Shining is an outstanding book. Enjoy it. It's nothing much like the movie at all, which is nice. The movie was great, too (my favorite horror flick), but the book is great in it's own way.

Funny, I re-read Insomnia right after reading the Dark Tower series as well. What a coincidence. Wink

The only book I've ever read three times is The Talisman by King and Peter Straub. I absolutely adored that book.

You should probably also pick up The Stand too. Probably his best book.

I already read " The Stand", The Talisman was a great book too, from what I've heard, they are making it into a TV movie. TNT is doing it I think.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384580/

I also heard somewhere that the Sci Fi channel might be remaking "It". not sure though, could be wrong.

http://www.filmjunk.com/2006/06/07/the-s...-kings-it/
Have you seen this ?

http://www.marvel.com/news/comicstories.4432

I'm really hoping that with the success of the Dark Tower graphic novels, The Stand will probably be as successful, maybe jussst maybe IT will be nxt for the GN treatment. That would get my geek boy up and running.

I would love it if they re-made IT, but I soooo hope it's for HBO or Showtime, one of the channels where they won't have to worried about ratings. The only bright spot in the original TV version was Tim Curry's portrayal of Pennywise, and that was only a B+ effort, the rest was total crap. Who thought it would be a good idea to try and neuter IT for TV ?

By the way, holy crap have you seen all the stuff King has coming up ? They just finished the 2nd Gunslinger graphic novel collection, with the 3rd series, and the Stand GN in September, there's a new collection of short stories in November, and right now on Itunes you can download episodes of "N" which from what i've seen is some sort of animated story.

Tha man is in his 60s and seems more prolific than ever. Take Just the stuff he's has coming up this year, and that's more than most writer's get published in their entire careers.

I hope they clone him.
Wowie Groovie !
Titan ! Wrote:Have you seen this ?

http://www.marvel.com/news/comicstories.4432

I'm really hoping that with the success of the Dark Tower graphic novels, The Stand will probably be as successful, maybe jussst maybe IT will be nxt for the GN treatment. That would get my geek boy up and running.

I would love it if they re-made IT, but I soooo hope it's for HBO or Showtime, one of the channels where they won't have to worried about ratings. The only bright spot in the original TV version was Tim Curry's portrayal of Pennywise, and that was only a B+ effort, the rest was total crap. Who thought it would be a good idea to try and neuter IT for TV ?

By the way, holy crap have you seen all the stuff King has coming up ? They just finished the 2nd Gunslinger graphic novel collection, with the 3rd series, and the Stand GN in September, there's a new collection of short stories in November, and right now on Itunes you can download episodes of "N" which from what i've seen is some sort of animated story.

Tha man is in his 60s and seems more prolific than ever. Take Just the stuff he's has coming up this year, and that's more than most writer's get published in their entire careers.

I hope they clone him.

Have you heard about the possible production of The Dark Tower for TV.

JJ Abrams (a huge king fan, just look at the refernces in Lost for example) bought the option for DT for 19 dollars.
Rumors are that its going to be one of the next things he works on after Lost wraps up in a couple years. I'll be anxious for that.
flyersfantn Wrote:[quote author=titan board=bs thread=1190 post=24423 time=1217961053]

JJ Abrams (a huge king fan, just look at the refernces in Lost for example) bought the option for DT for 19 dollars.
Rumors are that its going to be one of the next things he works on after Lost wraps up in a couple years. I'll be anxious for that.

Abrams is someone who could be trusted to treat the source material with the respect it deserves.
Wowie Groovie !
Titan ! Wrote:
flyersfantn Wrote:[quote author=titan board=bs thread=1190 post=24423 time=1217961053]

Abrams is someone who could be trusted to treat the source material with the respect it deserves.
agreed.
Check out Cell (a certain frequency emitted by cell phones turn everyone in to violent crazies who start taking over the world ie, Resident Evil without all the guns) by Stephen King and Brethren (a young sergeant in the time of the Crusades is going through shit with his Dad because he killed his sister and eventually becomes a Knight, loaded with betrayal good story) by Robyn Young.
flyersfantn Wrote:JJ Abrams (a huge king fan, just look at the refernces in Lost for example)

I'm big fan of both, but these references elude me. Got any examples?
Fistor Wrote:
flyersfantn Wrote:JJ Abrams (a huge king fan, just look at the refernces in Lost for example)

I'm big fan of both, but these references elude me. Got any examples?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0009190/

There's a few shows and movies on there you might recognize.
Wowie Groovie !
Titan ! Wrote:
Fistor Wrote:I'm big fan of both, but these references elude me. Got any examples?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0009190/

I'm talking about the Stephen King references in Lost.
Fistor Wrote:
Titan ! Wrote:http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0009190/

I'm talking about the Stephen King references in Lost.

Sigh.... Smite away.

after smiting, take a look at this :

http://lostpedia.com/wiki/Stephen_King
Wowie Groovie !
Titan ! Wrote:
Fistor Wrote:I'm talking about the Stephen King references in Lost.

Sigh.... Smite away.

after smiting, take a look at this :

http://lostpedia.com/wiki/Stephen_King

dammit, I was just about to post that. The one thing that jumped out at me the most last season was the new guy with the last name of Faraday. anyone whos read The Stand (maight only be in the long version) will recognize that name from the end of the book.
Titan ! Wrote:
potthole Wrote:The bookstore at my university introduced a new thing during my last semester there. Keep your original reciept and get 100% of what you paid back. The only thing was, they didn't tell you that when you made your purchase.

I can't help wonder if they ever did that again after I left, because I think they wound up getting twice the number of furious students when it came back to sell-back time.

That's a shitty thing to do. College bookstores are such a racket.

I was looking forward to the next Jack Ryan Jr. Book, I really liked Teeth of the Tiger.

supply and demand....take your books back right after the crazy buy rush....if they give you that opportunity
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
I know when I read The Stand every time I was out in public and someone sneezed/coughed I felt a little edgy. That was a great book.
brytn Wrote:I know when I read The Stand every time I was out in public and someone sneezed/coughed I felt a little edgy. That was a great book.
The Stand is one of my favorites. IT is without a doubt, the scariest book I have ever read. They effed up both of them when they tried to make movies.
The last couple post have talked about how much the Stand rocks, I gotta say I'm really looking forward to the Graphic Novelization next month. Might even get me back into a comic book store once a month.
Wowie Groovie !
Titan ! Wrote:The last couple post have talked about how much the Stand rocks, I gotta say I'm really looking forward to the Graphic Novelization next month. Might even get me back into a comic book store once a month.

I am out of the loop. What's GN??
jus' P Wrote:
Titan ! Wrote:The last couple post have talked about how much the Stand rocks, I gotta say I'm really looking forward to the Graphic Novelization next month. Might even get me back into a comic book store once a month.

I am out of the loop. What's GN??

They're doing a comic book version of The Stand, and the first issue is out next month.

They also did 2 Graphic Novels of the Dark tower, as a sort of prequel, and the 3rd will also be out next month
Wowie Groovie !
jus' P Wrote:
brytn Wrote:I know when I read The Stand every time I was out in public and someone sneezed/coughed I felt a little edgy. That was a great book.
The Stand is one of my favorites. IT is without a doubt, the scariest book I have ever read. They effed up both of them when they tried to make movies.

They usually do eff them up when they make movies from a book. The only one, I think, that was as good (or maybe even better) than the book was The Shining. Kubrick kicked ass on that one. Still a scary effin movie.
Here's a link with a ton of info on The Stand comic/graphic novel

http://stephenking.com/promo/stand_release_log/
Wowie Groovie !
Titan ! Wrote:Here's a link with a ton of info on The Stand comic/graphic novel

http://stephenking.com/promo/stand_release_log/

thanks for the info.. I just can't get into comic books anymore.
Yeah I can understand that, I hate the idea of waiting 30 days for the next chapter in the story. However if you're interested in seeing this as a complete project, you can wait 6 or 7 months and they will publish it as a Trade Paper Back, with the first 6 or so issues all in one. You will probably be able to find it at Barnes and Noble, or Borders, or Books a Million, etc
Wowie Groovie !
Picked up Rome 1960 by David Maraniss this weekend. It's a look at how the 1960 Summer Olympics were the start of a new era in the Olympic games. I'm excited to start it once I've finished my current read.
I read some of Stephen King's son's short stories yesterday, and they were pretty good.
Wowie Groovie !
http://www.myspace.com/comicbooks

Link to a recent interview with Stephen King on myspace
Wowie Groovie !
Have you read, "The Long Walk" by Stephen King (written as Richard Bachman)?

I don't read a ton of Stephen King, but I'll be damned if that isn't a great book. I highly recommend it.
I didn't have the patience to read through the entire thread, but has anyone every read "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet? It has to be my favorite book. It's a long book, but a very fast read. I was stressed out from start to finish. There is also a sequal to the book that recently came out called "World Without End". It's good too, but the it really seems like the same story with new characters. They're both books about The Church, but it's written by an atheist. I'm not atheist, but I really actually enjoyed the take on how much politics were involved in how The Church worked.
It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life by Lance Armstrong.

I highly recommend this book to everyone, not just the sports fans. Very inspirational.
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
i don't normally read, but i figured out it really helps on a plane. i'm on chapter 20 of a lion's tale: around the world in spandex.
I love the Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child collaborations- they wrote The Relic, Reliquary, Still Life With Crows, Book of the Dead, etc. The characters are amazing and you come out of the book feeling like a science/technical genius because of their insanely researched details you learn as the plot develops.

As for college books, I suggest www.half.com, I saved hundreds every semester, and 9 times out of 10 I sold them back on half.comand MADE money. Just get the ISBN of the version you need at the school bookstore and you'll be good to go. I found almost every book I needed there except for the very last high level veterinary texts.
Humans are not rational beings, they are rationalizing
Practice safe sex, do it in a Volvo ___________ "Shut up", he explained.
elranito Wrote:Have you read, "The Long Walk" by Stephen King (written as Richard Bachman)?

I don't read a ton of Stephen King, but I'll be damned if that isn't a great book. I highly recommend it.

Just got through re-reading it. Effing psychotic book.

I'm back on the Harlan Coben kick. Reading Just One Look. Typically great so far. I believe once I'm finished with this one, I'll have read every book he's written.

Also started Blowback, by Brad Thor. It's pretty good, but I had to shelve it for more Coben goodness.
Funny - I have had Pillars of the Earth recommended to me about three separate times since June. Guess I'll have to get around to it soon.

I just finished Teacher Man by Frank McCourt, the author of Angela's Ashes. A bit more topical for someone who is a teacher like me, but interesting nonetheless.

And of course, with all the GN talk going around this thread, I have to mention my recent completion of Watchmen. Epic. Of course, the movie could never live up to it, but I'm curious to see what they do with it.
Well, I usually don't read the "in" books, but I'm almost finished with the fourth book of the "Twilight" series. I don't know what I'm going to do when I'm done with it. The whole series was soooo good I think nothing will hold my interest for a while. All four are a good read for anyone who likes vampire love stories!
anything by Chuck Palahniuk, especially "choke" & "Diary". Author of the book that the movie "Fightclub" was based on. His books are totally twisted....and don't get the wrong idea...nothing like what you would expect a movie with Brad Pitt to star in. Their is a chapter in "haunted" in which he has read at book signings and has made over a dozen people faint...no shit.

Also good is "Fay" by Larry Brown.

Then there is "Jitterbug Perfume" by Tom Robbins.
Chuck Klosterman's books ("Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs", "Fargo Rock City", "IV", Killing Yourself to Live") are amusing, some are convoluted, but still very amusing
Humans are not rational beings, they are rationalizing
Practice safe sex, do it in a Volvo ___________ "Shut up", he explained.
Torque Wrote:Chuck Klosterman's books ("Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs", "Fargo Rock City", "IV", Killing Yourself to Live") are amusing, some are convoluted, but still very amusing
I really enjoyed Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs. Definitely an amusing easy read... good collection of essays.
mainerliser Wrote:Well, I usually don't read the "in" books, but I'm almost finished with the fourth book of the "Twilight" series. I don't know what I'm going to do when I'm done with it. The whole series was soooo good I think nothing will hold my interest for a while. All four are a good read for anyone who likes vampire love stories!

Love love love love that series...can't wait to see what they do with the movies, especially the 4th book.

Did read the first 12 chapters of Midnight Sun?
jerseygirl Wrote:
mainerliser Wrote:Well, I usually don't read the "in" books, but I'm almost finished with the fourth book of the "Twilight" series. I don't know what I'm going to do when I'm done with it. The whole series was soooo good I think nothing will hold my interest for a while. All four are a good read for anyone who likes vampire love stories!

Love love love love that series...can't wait to see what they do with the movies, especially the 4th book.

When I finish my current book, I'm seriously thinking about picking up Twilight
Wowie Groovie !
Titan ! Wrote:
jerseygirl Wrote:Love love love love that series...can't wait to see what they do with the movies, especially the 4th book.

When I finish my current book, I'm seriously thinking about picking up Twilight

If you don't mind the whole love story thing it's pretty good. I find the whole mortal/immortal theme pretty interesting. "When you can live forever, what do you live for?"
Have you read any Laurell K Hamilton? She's been writing that type of Vampire/Werewolves are real in our real world kind of thing for 10 years now. In fact from what I understand, Twilight is kind of like a Teen version of LKH's works.
Wowie Groovie !
Titan ! Wrote:Have you read any Laurell K Hamilton? She's been writing that type of Vampire/Werewolves are real in our real world kind of thing for 10 years now. In fact from what I understand, Twilight is kind of like a Teen version of LKH's works.

I haven't read any of her books, but I might pick one up tomorrow when I go to run my errands. Any specific title I should check out?

Besides Interview with a Vampire, Anne Rice has written quite a few, too. I might check her out as well.