Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Books and junk
jerseygirl Wrote:
Titan ! Wrote:Have you read any Laurell K Hamilton? She's been writing that type of Vampire/Werewolves are real in our real world kind of thing for 10 years now. In fact from what I understand, Twilight is kind of like a Teen version of LKH's works.

I haven't read any of her books, but I might pick one up tomorrow when I go to run my errands. Any specific title I should check out?

Besides Interview with a Vampire, Anne Rice has written quite a few, too. I might check her out as well.

it's a continuing story, so start with Guilty Pleasures,

[Image: DP.jpg]
Wowie Groovie !
Titan ! Wrote:
jerseygirl Wrote:I haven't read any of her books, but I might pick one up tomorrow when I go to run my errands. Any specific title I should check out?

Besides Interview with a Vampire, Anne Rice has written quite a few, too. I might check her out as well.

it's a continuing story, so start with Guilty Pleasures,

[Image: DP.jpg]

Hmmmmmmmm.....I think I'll go buy this tomorrow! Thanks titan!
If you like the idea of a "dark romance" with a double twist of the supernatural thrown in and a touch of alternate history for flavor, this is the series for you !
Wowie Groovie !
Fistor Wrote:Also started Blowback, by Brad Thor. It's pretty good,

This just in:

No it's not.

With about 80 pages to go, I sat the book down because I just didn't give a crap about what was happening.

Just picked up The Watchmen, supposedly the greatest graphic novel of all times or whatever.
jerseygirl Wrote:Besides Interview with a Vampire, Anne Rice has written quite a few, too. I might check her out as well.

I tried to get into Interview with a Vampire, but after embarking upon 100 or so pages of the main character's self-examination about his feelings and how he felt about how he didn't emotionally feel anymore and that made him feel nostalgic to back before he got bit, when he could feel his emotions......I threw the Effing book against a wall.

I'm sure it picked up after that, but I could no longer invest my time to find out.

A vampire book I really got into, though, was S.E. Hinton's Hawke's Harbor. This was Hinton's departure from the teen stories she's known for writing, and delves into some pretty dark matter. Very entertaining.
I hear that Tim O'Brien's The things They Carried is a great fiction about Vietnam. I'm about to start it. Any one else read this? How was it?
3/30/2009 1:38 PM Loose Wendy wrote: "I would rather masturbate using a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire than have sex with Joe."
Fistor Wrote:
Fistor Wrote:Also started Blowback, by Brad Thor. It's pretty good,

Just picked up The Watchmen, supposedly the greatest graphic novel of all times or whatever.

Watchmen is AWESOME ! And the trailer for the movie looks like it is going tobe F'ing epic. However, it's not the greatest graphic novel ever. That title belongs to The Dark Knight by Frank Miller, it is the ultimate Batman story. (Same title as the movie but definetly not the same story)

Watchmen is a solid #2 on that list though. Followed by Maus.

I've been told Tim O'brien's viet nam books are the best of the genre.

Also, since were discussing Viet Nam books, Stephen King had at one point considered not going to college and joining the Army thinking that there might "be a book in it" during the viet nam era.

How do you think his books would be different if he had skipped collegeand headed to the jungles. (assuming of course he lived to write about it)
Wowie Groovie !
Titan ! Wrote:I've been told Tim O'brien's viet nam books are the best of the genre.

Also, since were discussing Viet Nam books, Stephen King had at one point considered not going to college and joining the Army thinking that there might "be a book in it" during the viet nam era.

How do you think his books would be different if he had skipped collegeand headed to the jungles. (assuming of course he lived to write about it)

I've read quite a few books about Vietnam. The one that made the biggest impression on me was by Larry Hughes - You Can See a Lot Standing Under a Flare in the Republic of Vietnam: My Year at War. It was an excellent book, but I will definitely look up Tim O'Brien's work as well.
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
Titan ! Wrote:
Queenie Wrote:Is that the name of the book "Dies the Fire"? Sounds pretty interesting. I'll have to look that one up.

Yes, Dies the Fire is the name of the first book in the trilogy, by S. M. Stirling

There's a companion Trilogy by the same author, where as our world is changed and things stop working. The Island of Nantucket is sent back in time 4000 years, and all of their technology keeps working, and the survivors need to band together and try to forge a new world.

This guy is a historian as well as an author and there is a lot of historical detail written into his work, so there is a feel of authenticity that is lacking in most time travel schlock.
I'm about half way through Dies the Fire. I've enjoyed it so far.
elranito Wrote:
Titan ! Wrote:Yes, Dies the Fire is the name of the first book in the trilogy, by S. M. Stirling

There's a companion Trilogy by the same author, where as our world is changed and things stop working. The Island of Nantucket is sent back in time 4000 years, and all of their technology keeps working, and the survivors need to band together and try to forge a new world.

This guy is a historian as well as an author and there is a lot of historical detail written into his work, so there is a feel of authenticity that is lacking in most time travel schlock.
I'm about half way through Dies the Fire. I've enjoyed it so far.

Awesome !

You'll like the entire series.
Wowie Groovie !
Regarding Anne Rice:

The Queen of the Damned was an AWESOME book, I was one of the few people that liked the movie, but what happens in the movie takes up probably about 3 pages of the book, and lets just say they took some liberties.

I also really liked "Memnoch the Devil" it had few slower spots and if you're very religious you may be offended at some parts, but then you shouldn't be reading vampire novels anyway.

Another suggestion, I recommend reading "I Am Legend" I read it before the movie and though the movie was pretty good I wish they had included more from the book. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who only read it after seeing the movie.
Humans are not rational beings, they are rationalizing
Practice safe sex, do it in a Volvo ___________ "Shut up", he explained.
I wonder ? How many of Rice's TRUE DIE HARD HARDCORE fans were truly pissed off when she returned to her Catholic roots ?
Wowie Groovie !
They probably lit candles and tried to work up a curse upon their once-prophet
Humans are not rational beings, they are rationalizing
Practice safe sex, do it in a Volvo ___________ "Shut up", he explained.
Stephen King's beat down of Stephanie Meyer

http://blogs.usaweekend.com/whos_news/20...steph.html
Wowie Groovie !
One of the best books I ever read was "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell" by Tucker Max, for the mere fact it made me laugh the whole way through. Normally I read whatever I can get my hands on but, since I'm a sexually-repressed romantic, I read more trashy romance novels than I care to admit.

My main goal in life is to own my own library, and I won't count the books I own (not counting said trashies, they aren't allowed to mingle with my other books), because I don't want to know how many thousands of dollars I have sitting on my bookshelves.
"I'm glad to see those 'Worthless Whore' lessons turned out well for you."
I read the plot synopsis for Stephen King's next novel, and I think it's oddly similar to The Simpsons Movie

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_Dome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_Dome</a><!-- m -->

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.stephenking.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.stephenking.com</a><!-- w -->

1500 PAGES ! ! ! ! WOO HOO
Wowie Groovie !
I really dislike Stephen King books. They are just too boring for my brain to be interested in.
Blasphemer ! ! !
Wowie Groovie !
I read a lot. And by a lot, I mean anywhere between 2 to 10 books a week (as I have no life, whatsoever). I've tried reading Stephen King novels, but he puts in just so many unnecessary details that I don't care about and do nothing for the story, and by the time I'm halfway through the book I want to throw it at something. I feel the same way about a lot of Ann Rice books. I remember reading Servant of the Bones, getting down to the last chapter, and quitting because it was pointless.

None of the above holds a candle to the book Atonement. That book suuuucked. The movie was great and contained pretty much ALL of the details of the book. Not because the movie was necessarily long or over-detailed, the book was.
mainerliser Wrote:Well, I usually don't read the "in" books, but I'm almost finished with the fourth book of the "Twilight" series. I don't know what I'm going to do when I'm done with it. The whole series was soooo good I think nothing will hold my interest for a while. All four are a good read for anyone who likes vampire love stories!
I think I may be one of the few straight males who loves that series lol. Im with you about not reading the "in" books other that Harry potter I tend to stay off the mainstream with books, unless you count star wars novels as mainstream
i'm not 16, just too lazy to think of a different username, so now every site that I have this username on probably assumes im a predator of some type
schuyler16 Wrote:
mainerliser Wrote:Well, I usually don't read the "in" books, but I'm almost finished with the fourth book of the "Twilight" series. I don't know what I'm going to do when I'm done with it. The whole series was soooo good I think nothing will hold my interest for a while. All four are a good read for anyone who likes vampire love stories!
I think I may be one of the few straight males who loves that series lol. Im with you about not reading the "in" books other that Harry potter I tend to stay off the mainstream with books, unless you count star wars novels as mainstream

The Twilight series is okay, but very girly (which is sad coming from me, who constantly reads romance novels). The Southern Vampire Series (aka Sookie Stackhouse series, the basis for True Blood) is okay so far, But Charlaine Harris tends to ruin her own characters and plots, from what I understand.
A fascinating read called "The Nazis And The Occult"
krystal Wrote:
schuyler16 Wrote:

The Twilight series is okay, but very girly (which is sad coming from me, who constantly reads romance novels). The Southern Vampire Series (aka Sookie Stackhouse series, the basis for True Blood) is okay so far, But Charlaine Harris tends to ruin her own characters and plots, from what I understand.

If you like romance and kilted Scots try Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series! There are 6 books so far and a seventh is coming in September, so of course I'm re-reading the whole series! it's a great historical fiction with a great romance! Edward Cullen is nothing compared to Jamie Fraser!!
My Mother in law tried 'letting' me borrow some twighlight book that she had borrowed from someone else. My Reply:

"No thanks"

What I wish I had replied with:

"You apparently haven't been on facebook lately, if you had been you would have seen that I have been a fan of 'vagina' since my joining"
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
Howie Feltersnatch Wrote:My Mother in law tried 'letting' me borrow some twighlight book that she had borrowed from someone else. My Reply:

"No thanks"

What I wish I had replied with:

"You apparently haven't been on facebook lately, if you had been you would have seen that I have been a fan of 'vagina' since my joining"
:lol: :clap:
i'm not 16, just too lazy to think of a different username, so now every site that I have this username on probably assumes im a predator of some type
You can truthfully become a fan of:

Vagina
Boners and
Doing It

on Facebook
"Golf requires goofy pants and a fat ass. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge ass!"
All at once?
You know boners are at the top of his list (he just put it 2nd so we wouldn't get suspicious).
[Image: funny-harry-potter.jpg]
Wiener Poopie 2.0! Now fatter and less credible!
Nice.
I would buy those just for the awesome value.
I recently finished The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown, totally not worth the time I put into it,

:: SPOILER ::

The big secret of the Masons ?

The king James Bible, and the idea that man can become God through enlightenment.

Sigh.

I also finished Terry Pratchett's Unseen Academicals. This was a lot of fun, im looking forward to more of his discworld series.

And, speaking of Lost. Don't forget the final season starts tonight ! :clap:
Wowie Groovie !
I am currently reading Inside the Mind of BTK by John Douglas. I got interested in it after I heard Zane talking about it. It's a trip so far.
Hey doc, do you know the address of that place?
Oh, you know, I do know the address. It's at the corner of go fuck yourself and buy a map!
Currently about halfway through Clancy's The Bear and the Dragon, but once I get done I'm going to start on a biography of Satchel Paige. I'm really looking forward to learning more about the crazy life that dude led.
Still reading Atlas Shrugged.

A very long and yet enthralling book. I highly recommend it. It takes about 100 pages to really get going and then "whammo".
Go fuck yourself. Hard.
Biff Wrote:Still reading Atlas Shrugged.

A very long and yet enthralling book. I highly recommend it. It takes about 100 pages to really get going and then "whammo".

I liked the title more than the book. The title is witty and clever. The book . . . sufficed to say I'm not really much of an Ayn Rand fan.
And I just started The Looking Glass War, I picked this up because the cover to the 3rd book looks pretty cool.
Wowie Groovie !
Lets see...In the last month I have finished: The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown, The Camel Club, The Collectors, Stone Cold, and Devine Justice all by David Baldacci, Fred Meijer: Stories of His Life by Larry ten Hansel and some other guy (I highly recommend this book, it is one of the best biographies I have ever read.) and The Blind Side by Michael Lewis.

Of these The Lost Symbol was the only dissappointing book, the rest were all good and I really like Baldacci because his books have many twists and turns that make it hard to see the end coming. Next up for me is Blackwater by Jeremy Scahill which I am about three chapters into already and then True Blue by David Baldacci. Then I have no idea but have some books I do want to read.
"What you are about to see is top secret. Do not tell my mother."
Im working my way through "The Guns of the South" by Harry Turtledove which is an alternate history novel where White supremicists from south africa go back in time to give AK-47s to the Confederate Army. Guess who wins the civil war? [spoiler=]the south does surprisingly[/spoiler]
XOMG ! ! 11 ! 111 ! ! !

Guns of the south is one of my all time favorite books. Ive read it like a billion times, I literally read the ink off the pages.

Have you read any of his other work ? If not I highly reccomend the World War series, it's about an alien invasion during WWII, the series contains 8 books overall, and each one leaves you wanting more.
Wowie Groovie !